- advertisement -

Relocating advice ~ southern NJ

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by KellyH, May 25, 2013.

1. KellyH

KellyH Approved members

Hello everyone,
    A bit of background. My daughter Abby was diagnosed at 16 months old...she is currently 8 years old, on a minimed pump and occasionally the sensor. We are active duty separating from the military. Hubby just signed the paperwork for a wonderful job in southern NJ. I am wondering if anyone on this forum lives in southern NJ and can recommend an endo and also a support group. We have been in VA for 7 years so this will be a big move for us. I happen to actually teach in the same school as Abby and not planning on working when we move....so that will be a big change for us. Also it will be the whole process of the kids meeting her and understanding diabetes ~ she has been in class with many of the same kids for three years now and they all accept her and know about type 1 and its just a part of her. Any advice on the transition would be most appreciated!

Thank you so much,
    Kelly

2. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

Hi there
    We are in western/central Jersey, however, we take Hana to Children's of Philadelphia (CHOP). We just moved to that practice from St Peters in New Brunswick. It's a huge difference and we're happy. Depending where in South Jersey are, you shouldn't be too far from Philly. We drive over 1.5 hrs there but it's worth it. They also have smaller satellite offices.

I think there are some other people here in south Jersey who go to DuPont Children's in Wilmington DE.

3. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

Congrats on all the new changes. :) I'm partial to having one parent home with the kids, so congrats on that too. :)

When my DS started a new school, at the first of the year he and another diabetic student (he was the son of the principal) stood in front of the class to explain all about diabetes, including a Q&A session at the end. I think it helped a lot, both for my son and the kids in his class. It helped him not be shy about testing in front of them, and it helped them understand that he wasn't "sick" with something they could get from him. You could do some version of that.

4. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Like Aimee, DS goes to CHOP, but to the Princeton satellite office for regular visits.

There is also Jersey Shore University Medical Center in Neptune, NJ. My friends son has been going there for about 5 years; I do not have personal experience with them.

What town are you relocating to? There is also Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in New Brunswick, but that might be quite a drive.

Best of luck!

5. heypb

heypb Approved members

I would definitely recommend CHOP as well. There is also a CHOP satellite office in Voorhees, NJ.

6. Meredith

Meredith New Member

Endo in south jersey

I don't know where you are moving in south jersey...but the children's hospital of Philadelphia (chop) is a really good peds endo. The initial wait to get in is a little frustrating... Another good group is cooper hospital in Camden NJ... If you are closer to Delaware your options are Dupont.. Your little one will be fine, one of the great things about the state of New Jersey is our public schools require a certified nurse in the school at all times...I hope your move goes well and wish you a lot of luck..p.s. my daughter has been with all of these groups, cooper was when she was diagnosed, then switched to dupont and now at chop..I only switched because of insurances but took a liking to all of these groups.