- advertisement -

Religion... or lack of, really

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by ashtensmom, Sep 8, 2011.

1. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

This article made me think of you, Marsha. The photo of a heart caught my science eye, but I really thought at first that it was an upside-down photo of the pear tree from Ground Zero that is being re-planted with all its branches and new growth. I think that if you look for light, you will find it. God is there to be your light when the darkness seems all around you. I don't think He causes suffering; he just helps ease the pain by being with us.

http://andrewsullivan.thedailybeast.com/2011/09/a-poem-for-saturday.html

2. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

Actually, I'm a really happy person, and even in my darkest moments, I never relied on a god to give me hope, ease my pain, or make me feel better. However, I think a person of faith can use your words and if they want to believe that God can make themselves feel better, then so be it. People take solace and comfort in all sorts of things, and God and/or religion is one of those ways. :) I agree it can help many people cope in life. I cope in different ways.

However, back to the question at hand, again, I think it's illogical, no matter your religious stance, or lack thereof, to believe that a god gave you a malady, illness, or punished you in some way.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Charles Bukowski... interesting choice.

And then there's this tidbit,

"For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command nor faith a dictum. I am my own god. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us."
    ? Charles Bukowski

4. momandwifeoftype1s

I married an Atheist. I respect that everyone has different views, and I thought this was a beautiful poem if you are religious or not. I probably could have left out my own commentary, which probably tainted the author's intent :eek:. I liked it as a Christian, but thought it was beautiful no matter what you believe. I like the visual of the heart (which I thought was the upside down pear tree) too. I thought it was fascinating and intricate, if you care to see it as a heart or the tree.

5. momandwifeoftype1s

Oh! I know you're a happy person. You actually inspire me a lot! I liked the poem, and it's not religious per se. I thought the images were beautiful and scientific too. A combination of art and science. And light/love.

6. twodoor2

Thanks Amy!! Unfortunately, I'm not very poetic, and I always did poorly in writing. :p:eek: I appreciate the kind words, and the poem though. :D

7. momandwifeoftype1s

You're welcome! :)

8. buggle

buggle Approved members

I hate to see people blaming themselves for their kids getting diabetes, cancer, being killed in an accident or any other misfortune in life. Religion is supposed to bring you comfort, I thought.

I think it's normal to search for reasons why our kids got this illness. Many of us wonder if things we ate or didn't eat before or during pregnancy or environmental exposures or breastfeeding vs not, etc caused this. The truth is we'll never know. I suppose people of a religious bent might wonder why their god would allow this and then turn around and blame themselves. But plenty of evil, rotten people go through life without one malady, in great health and have wealth and contentment. Are they being rewarded? Unless that's true, then believing that not being religious enough made your child sick makes no sense. It's not your fault. It's no one's fault. It is what it is. We all just have to do the best we can with whatever life hands us.

9. twodoor2

This!! Well said!

10. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I am a Christian. I don't believe my kids got diabetes as some sort of "punishment".....

I do believe that things happen for reasons that we can't know. It's part of a bigger plan.....

It's called faith.

11. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

This is a recurring Biblical theme, from the beggar Lazarus going to heaven while his the rich man whose gates he sat outside goes to hell, to Jesus telling people the blind man is not blind through any fault of his own or his parents. Many of the Psalms are of the "my enemies have it good right now while I'm kind of in the dog house, hope you fix that some time soon, Lord!" bent. I've been rereading Job lately, first time since dx, and I'm finding it almost fun. His "friends" come to him over and over again and tell him he must have done something to earn this (and it's clear at the start of the book that he did not) -- his responses have me smiling, because they are frankly bitter and angry at his friends for being so dull and dense.

Shoot, Christianity is entirely based on the idea of one man taking on extreme suffering even though he was entirely without sin.

Frankly, there are a few churches I've been in where they essentially pray to get rich, and have warped the message of Christianity to mean that you will prosper materially if you follow God's rules well enough. This is probably my least favorite heresy. :rolleyes::p I think it leads those who believe it very, very far astray. :(

12. swellman

swellman Approved members

If it was some "god's" plan for my child to get Diabetes you can keep it or him or her or whatever it is.

13. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Ive never thought of God as being a chess player with us as all of the chess pieces. I dont think he sits up there with the ole main frame computer and pick out people to bring harm to or to give good stuff too. I dont think its this" Hmm, lets see, havent picked on Becky in a few years, I'll give her kid type 1 diabetes!" or "John Smith has life by the gonads now, how about a nice big heart attack at the age of 52 there John old boy!?!? big enough to kill ya!" or " This sleazy politician could use a few more million, I'll set that right up!"

Ive never thought that God or Allah or Budda or Jehovah or Force greater then ourself or any that you (a collective you) believe in would bother playing with us as if we were toys or pets any more then I would bother to take time with some small ants outside of my house. Not saying that we are viewed as small ants but who knows?:confused:

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

ah Job - reminds me of a good point about Job. primarily it's the 'conversation' between Satan and God that take place in the background, so you get to hear what's going on. And the fact is that while Job has all these tragedies befall him God is right there sparing him form even greater tragedy. God will allow Satan to take his health, but won't allow death for example.
    Job also teaches us that God isn't just God during the good times, he's also God during the bad times and that' probably is the biggest lesson that we can take from Job.

I think about it this way (and I've shared this thought before) I look at the Blessed Virgin Mary, a woman so special and loved by God that he hand picked her to be the mother of Jesus.. and I think if that if God took her son from her, a human mother with a human son, then who am I to even begin to think that I should have something better than that?

15. swellman

I find that utterly depressing but I guess I'm missing the point.

16. frizzyrazzy

thanks for sharing your sentiments.

17. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

A famous Fulton Sheen quote that applies to many religions, I think, is:

There are not one hundred people in the United States who hate The Catholic Church, but there are millions who hate what they wrongly perceive the Catholic Church to be."
    ? Fulton J. Sheen

And for fun, here's a few more. . .

"Hearing nuns' confessions is like being stoned to death with popcorn."
    ? Fulton J. Sheen

Unless there is a Good Friday in your life, there can be no Easter Sunday."
    ? Fulton J. Sheen

"You must remember to love people and use things, rather than to love things and use people."
    ? Fulton J. Sheen

To tell a woman who is forty, "You look like sixteen," is boloney. The blarney way of saying it is "Tell me how old you are, I should like to know at what age women are the most beautiful."
    ? Fulton J. Sheen

"If you don't behave as you believe, you will end by believing as you behave."

"Never forget that there are only two philosophies to rule your life: the one of the cross, which starts with the fast and ends with the feast. The other of Satan, which starts with the feast and ends with the headache."

(For the record, I'm not sure that one is Sheen?)

18. swellman

I admitted I must be missing the point ...

19. frizzyrazzy

and I said thanks.

20. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Perhaps any thread mentioning or alluding to religion, or faith, or atheism or whatever should be rendered a Hot Topic and placed there. We are all entitled to our views, and our opinions regarding the views of others, but these threads rarely end well.

Intentional or otherwise, buttons get pushed way beyond the realm of friendly conversation.