- advertisement -

Registering with Disabilities Office? What kind of paperwork for college?

Discussion in 'Diabetes and College' started by HannahB, Aug 16, 2011.

1. HannahB

HannahB Approved members

We have had 504 plans, but I am wondering- what are people's experiences in registering with the disabilities office, what type of "instructions" did you give and to whom, does anyone have examples?

2. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I think it depends on whether it's a public or private university/college. I'm thinking there might be more uniformity with a public. Molly's college has a form to fill out, though she won't be signing up. She feels that she can communicate with her professors directly. What I would have asked for (if I were her) would be to have the option to test/snack in class (which she feels is no problem anyway), and to have the ability to postpone a test should her bg be below a certain level. Having gone through a really vigorous senior year with a new dx, she feels that she can handle most academic situations with some extra precautions ahead of time. I know that in some situations, there might be the benefit of registering early (in order to build a schedule that is more conducive to better access to lunch, etc.) and for a big university, this might be very valuable.

3. Lize

Lize Approved members

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but is a child with D1 considered someone with a disability? On my tax return this year I wasn't sure if diabetes 1 is considered a disability or not.

4. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

I don't know about the tax laws, but for accomodations for taking standardized tests, and the 504 etc., it is a valid dx.

5. wdhinn89

wdhinn89 Approved members

The bold would be my number one reasons for registering. I do not think that colleges give you the accomodations our children received in grammer and high school. Most only have medical personnel on hand for short times during the day. Colleges are preparing kids for adult life. They want them to learn to handle things on their own. Employers are not going to care if you are high or low when the work they are paying you needs to be done. Harsh but true.:(

6. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

I know you are in South-Africa but, I think if we expect our children to be covered under the Americans with Disabilities act, to get special accommodations at school like a 504, to be protected against discrimination, etc, then yes, we need to consider them as having a disability.

It is a fine line for me. I don't want her to expect to get certain things, or be given certain shortcuts just because she has diabetes. And we always say how our children can do anything that any other child can do. But at the same time, they are not like other children, they have special needs and considerations that other kids do not have to deal with. So while I am aware that she has special needs I don't treat her much differently because of her illness. But I want her to have the same opportunities as children who don't have diabetes.

Sorry to the OP for going OT. :eek:

7. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I registered with the "letter to teachers" that the children's hospital gave me, even though it had totally wrong instructions. The office said that all it wanted was some proof of diagnosis- the rest didn't matter.

P.S. The only accommodations I asked for long term were bringing food to class, being allowed to eat in class, keeping food out during tests. Short term, since my vision went wonky right after diagnosis (during my sophomore year in college), I also asked to sit in the front row in class and to get a copy of the professor's slides, etc, because I couldn't consistently see what was written on the board. It's possible that I would have needed more documentation had I requested other accommodations.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  8. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

I'm an incoming freshman at a private LAC. With my college they had forms that your doctor needed to fill out, that stated the accommodations you needed and how different parts of your life my or may not be limited by your diagnosis. I had to get 2 forms filled out one for my psych issues another for diabetes. They didn't even want to see my high school 504 stating that the paper work was all that was needed. My accommodations are the ability to have snack/drinks in classes that normally forbid them (labs), ability to have insulin pump with me during exams, ability to reschedule test due to prolonged highs or lows, and extended time and ability to take exams in a quiet setting (for psych diagnosis).

I personally don't think I should go without registering because my other issues, but I could definitely see why others may not want to register.