- advertisement -

Refrigerators?

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Beach bum, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We are going to be remodeling our kitchen and I can finally get a larger fridge, and the one of my dreams:D I am liking the French door/4 door fridges. Does anyone have one, and if so what brand? Do you like it? Pros? Cons?

2. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I'm embarrassed by how much I like my fridge :eek: It's the big LG - like 31 cu ft. Love the layout of the drawers and the storage. We've had it about 20 months and it hasn't given us any trouble... so far.:cool:

3. Beach bum

Oooh. That's the one I'm looking at, but now it has an extra draw. How is the ice maker working? It gets good reviews, but I'm seeing that is the one con. Ice sometimes comes out in blocks... but that is for the newest model.

4. Sarah Maddie's Mom

No problem so far with the ice machine, though we leave it on "crushed" all the time. It doesn't make or store a ton of ice. When we've had a lot of people in the house it has not been able to keep up, but for everyday it's great.

There is the matter of the filters. I've never had a fridge before that needed filters but I found a source on-line and just buy a bunch at a time.

5. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

I have a LG... side by side. We love it! I thought about getting the french door... but I was afraid my 4 yr old son would climb into the freezer to get a popsicle! :rolleyes: I think the only draw back is the limited ice supply for parties... but for day to day life. .. it'll do! Good luck on your search and congrats on the kitchen remodel!

6. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

We have a Samsung and love it. Our model has two ice makers - one in door and one in freezer. It can make 13 pounds of ice per day. :)
    We have had to have the electrical panel replaced two or three times but it was covered under warranty. It still worked fine, but the lights were all lit up instead of on and off the way they should have been. I figured I'd get it fixed while it was warrantied. I think I'd still buy this model again, even taking that into consideration.

7. Beach bum

Thanks for the info.

Ice, that's good to keep in mind. I guess for the few times a year we have a houseful, we can buy a bag of ice and keep it in the cooler. Filters, who knew? I mentioned my kids want the one with the soda water feature, so that's another part we'd need.

LOL, this fridge may end up costing about as much as a vacation!

8. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I have the LG side by side with bottom freezer (only 3 drawers though) BUT there is a model with an extra ice maker on bottom. Totally completely worth it! There is plenty of ice in the door for day to day needs AND a nice big bin in the bottom freezer. We use a lot of ice in our family, so this was a priority. The top maker alone would never cut it. We've had it about a year and I love it.

http://www.us-appliance.com/lfx25973st.html

I have never changed the filters, oops! Share your online source Sarah!

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

I'm pretty sure this is the place I ordered from last http://www.houseoffilters.com/lg-re...-p-3047.html?gclid=CNP_98Ch_bkCFcU7MgodvnIAbg

The air filters are cheaper - those I've just gotten at Home Depot but the water filers are $.

10. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

Thank you for the filter link. I also have an LG but ours is counter depth, which means I can't even get a large pizza box in there. Luckily it's just the two of us so we can make it work.

I did have a bunch of issues with it early on, and per google searches I wasn't alone. But they finally switched out the mother board, all under warranty, and I haven't had a single issue since.

And my model at least has an issue with things in the back of the drawers in the fridge part freezing occasionally.

11. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Sarah--how loud is the crushed ice maker? Our kitchen is open to the family room and any sound in the kitchen really carries.

12. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Loud. :p

Not as loud as a blender, but louder than .... a food processor.

Our floor plan is also very open. There is no sneaking an icy beverage in this house :p:cool:

13. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

Thanks, we moved to this new suburban house from a 100+ year old house with separate rooms and plaster walls. The space and layout here is great, but suprisingly noisy.

14. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Actually, I felt sort of bad for the fridge so I just got some to test - it's not silent, that's for sure, but it really only seems loud when I'm getting a glass of ice water before bed and the house is all shut down - then I notice the loudness. When life is happening it's really not so loud. Sorry I am being so flaky about it - I never had a fridge before with in-the-door ice so what do I know?:p

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  15. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

The in-door ice was new to us to. It was a real surprise to me how loud our house is--between a dishwasher in an island that faces the family room, ice crushing in an open kitchen, PVC drainage pipes, and drywall Walsh, everything is a lot louder.