- advertisement -

Referred to nephrologist

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Traci, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Traci

Traci Approved members

Microalbumin test came back higher than normal during 24 hr urine test. Creatinine came back normal. We've been referred to a nephrologist. I am heartbroken with worry for my 12 yr old son. Any positive experiences with this? He's been dx'd ten years and his a1c's were always good!

2. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I went through a brief period when I was around 20 where I had a slightly high creatinine and an abnormal urine test. I went on Lisinopril 2.5mg for a few months. It ended up totally resolving I haven't been on the Lisinopril in years and my renal function is still normal. Hope something similar happens for you.

3. Traci

Traci Approved members

Funnygirl, THANK YOU! I have just been beside myself with worry. Google is not my friend, but your few lines helped me to pull myself together. I was terrified I'd get five stories of dialysis and kidney transplants. You are the bright spot in this scary day!

4. LucyAmber

LucyAmber Approved members

There are several things that can throw off that urine test.

For example:
    exercise (kids love to run around & be active)
    dehydration
    stress

Those are just a few that I can think of.

I know you said it was a 24 hour test, but my endo says the most accurate time to do it is the 1st time after you wake up in the morning.

It is probably something really simple, if nothing at all.
    Think positive.
    he might just have to take a pill to help protect his kidneys.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We came back with a higher reading also. Our endo had us retest with the first void of the day and that one came back normal, had us do it again a few weeks later and that one too. As PP said, there are other variables which make this test come back with elevated levels.

Hope it is nothing!

6. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

Rachel started on Lisinopril age 8 for Microalbuminuria... we did several early morning urine samples which were positive. She had no other kidney problems so we have been told its Diabetes related.. She had HbA1c's in the low 7's so it was pretty upsetting but since being on Lisinopril her urine results have been normal .. ( except when we had a prescription mix up for 3 weeks of no tabs and it returned)..

7. Traci

Traci Approved members

Thank you all so very much. We did the first morning urine test first and it was just slightly elevated--two points above normal. That sent us on to the 24 hr test which came back much more elevated. With good a1c's, it is very frustrating to still see potential complications. We've rocked this d thing for years without complaint, but make no mistake, this disease is a monster.

8. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

When my son was 12, he had microalbumin in his urine for the quick test and lots and lots of it on a couple of 24 hour tests.

He went on quinapril for a couple of years (which brought the levels to be in range), then I took him to a nephrologist who did a split test -- night time and day time.

He had no micoralbumin at night and gobs during the day and was dx'd with posteral proteinuria.

He stayed on the quinapril until he started going to an adult endo who said that my son didn't need to keep taking the pill every day.

He is now 19 and no longer has microalbumin in his urine.

The years he took it, his blood pressure was lower.

So there are other tests to run before panic sets in. The treatment is easy - a pill once a day that works quite well.

9. Traci

Traci Approved members

Thank you. I think that's really what we are dealing with, too--but I'm not a dr, nor do I play one on tv. The first morning collection was fine with no foamy urine at all (but slightly elevated protein), but the day time urine was very foamy (apologies for TMI, but foamy urine is a sign of protein spilling). I guess we'll see when they get us in.

Thank you all for talking me down. It is very much appreciated!

10. funnygrl

Glad to hear you're feeling calmer. When's the appointment? Let us know how you make out.

11. SandiT

SandiT Approved members

Well, go stay at a Holiday Inn Express! :D

I'm so glad you're feeling better. I had nothing to offer that was helpful to the topic, but I do want to say I'm glad you're feeling some relief. :)

12. Traci

Traci Approved members

Still waiting to hear back from the doctors, but I will update when we know something. Both offices (endo and nephrology) have told me this is not an urgent situation. Coupled with the experiences shared by posters here, I was able to eat for the first time in two days! Thanks, again! You guys are the best!

13. Traci

Traci Approved members

Update: we did a few other urine tests and ds was dx 'd with orthostatic protenuria. His body spills protein when he is active and upright, but not when he is laying down. It isn't related to his t1. Just wanted to give a resolution in case anyone else got a high protein reading and was looking for posts on the situation. :)

14. Beach bum

Glad to hear this. Is there anything that can be done to treat it?

15. Traci

Traci Approved members

From what I've gathered, there is no treatment necessary. It is a condition that will eventually resolve itself. It does not mean the kidneys are damaged in any way. One article I read said it is even considered "normal". It is common in older children who are tall and thin (my son fits the bill there!). The only problem is that in office urine tests will always show a high level of protein because he's up and active. He'll have to collect at home and bring in to be tested.

16. funnygrl

Glad to hear you got your answer!

17. Beach bum

Interesting and great news that it really seems to have no long lasting impact. Seems the only pain is having to collect at home. But hey, if that's the worst that comes out of it, I'd take it.