- advertisement -

Red swollen pump site

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by bel, Jun 21, 2011.

1. bel

bel Approved members

We already had some infected pump sites and have switched to metal needle style infusion sets (we use Ping). We've been doing good with those about 6 weeks or so and today I changed her site and it's worse than any of the cannula sites ever were. She has a huge red patch about an inch and a half in diameter and there is a hard lump under almost all of that. There was white pus coming out when I pulled it out. She had a few highs today, but that's not unusual for her and she also had a few numbers in the 90's and I knew we were changing it tonight so I didn't bother checking it earlier (busy day. Feel guilty now! Not worth the time it saved me not to check it). I'm starting to feel like maybe we just aren't meant to be pumpers. We've had so many issues and she is always going on about how she wants to go back to shots (we agreed to give it 3 months and have 9 more days of that left).

Is it possible for her to be allergic to the plastic AND metal sites? Or is this just a one off infection? She hasn't done anything terribly yucky and I swabbed the area with alcohol before I put it in. No idea why she'd get infected. Sigh.

2. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

when you swab the area with alcohol do you do it in a circular motion starting in the center, little circle, getting bigger and moving out? you don't want to wipe over the same area again.. That being said, some people are just more prone to infections. My daughter was getting quite a few, the majority of them came after the site was pulled, she was scratching them, causing an infection.. everyone has bateria on their skin.. we were advised to use an antibacterial soap on her skin as well..

3. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Sounds like an infection. If you have antibiotic cream, use that. Make sure to clean any new site with a prepping towelette or spray. Sometimes you can get an allergy to the infusion set adhesive, and you can try a barrier dressing to help out. But in your case, it sounds like a simple site infection, which may get better with vigilant disinfecting and religious site changes. I know, it's annoying.:( Try to avoid that area for a while now and rotate somewhere else.
    Check with the endo for any special treatment.

If you had less probs with plastic cannulas, maybe go back to those?

Good luck!

4. JackyH

JackyH Approved members

If your child happens to have an allergy to both nickel and Teflon try the Accuchek UltraFlex II. My friend's son has had great success with those where all other sets failed. I know they are compatible with the Ping and am going to investigate whether we can use them with our Veo. My son does not tolerate the Teflon sets very well and steel sets stopped working when we switched to Apidra so I need to find something else - nothing will make us give up pumping - we'll just keep trying until we find something that works for him.

5. mommabear

mommabear Approved members

:(sorry to hear that you are having a hard time..I agree with the other posters. Expecially about the alcohol wipes in a circle motion. My son was having infection for awhile and we switched sites to the bottom for a while and used antibacteral cream to help the infection..Good luck I hope you figure it all out so you guys can stay on the pump..:cwds: