- advertisement -

recommendation for a T1 book for 4 year old classmates?

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kirsteng, Sep 12, 2013.

1. kirsteng

kirsteng Approved members

My son started junior kindergarten this week (4 year olds) and I've been going in daily to check his bg until the EA is trained to do so. So I've been there to see other kids' reactions, and they're definitely wondering what's going on. We openly check bg, as I don't want Grady to feel like he has anything to hide. But since it's snack time, ALL the kids have nothing to do but watch and wonder. A boy asked me today what I was doing to Grady, and when I briefly explained that Grady's body needs help to manage his blood sugar.. he said "I don't want you to help me with my blood sugar"... with big eyes. lol

So I was thinking that it might be good to find a short and simple story that explains to this age group the basics of diabetes, hopefully in an upbeat way.

Any recommendations?

2. TheTestingMom

TheTestingMom Approved members

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

4. momof2marchboys

momof2marchboys Approved members

our endo's office gave us a book that is put out by Lily Diabetes that is Mickey Mouse and Coco the Monkey - Coco has diabetes and it talks about what all Coco and her mom have to do inorder for her to play with Mickey and the gang. Here a link to show you what books are available with Disney's endorsement - I am trying to figure out how to get the other books as our Endo's office only had the one about the Birthday party ---

http://spoonful.com/type1/disneys-type-1-diabetes-bookshelf

5. kirsteng

Great suggestions, everyone - thanks!

I have the 'even superheroes get diabetes' one, but it's a little bit long for a bunch of 4 year olds while at school.

I think I'll try to find the Mickey and Coco and see how that goes - thanks again!

6. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

Cooper has Diabetes

My son really likes "Cooper has Diabetes" book. I think we got it from the endos office. The little boy starts off playing in a baseball game, and then reflects on a few months ago when he wasn't feeling well. Then it goes through very simply the hospital visit and diabetes.

Great book for boys with the baseball and team topics. I would imagine you could find it on Amazon, but I have never tried.

Wish they had a book that had insulin pumps, though, instead of injections.
    :)

7. Lee

Lee Approved members

Coco DOES have diabetes - my Coco at least :cool:

8. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

You could also just go in and explain in very basic terms what your son does, and how no one can catch diabetes and then let them ask questions. :cwds:

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

We have this book and like it. BUT. It is long and while it is well written, I'd be concerned with loosing your audience. I'd say it's geared more to grade 2 and up. Taking Diabetes to School is a classic, but unfortunately has not been updated to reflect the change in diabetes care. My daughter was diagnosed at 4 and I wrote a story about her getting diabetes. I kept it simple and incorporated meter, strips, poker, shots into the story. I used lots of visuals, equated lows to a car running out of gas.

10. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

11. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

12. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

13. Shopgirl2091

Shopgirl2091 Approved members

We have both the CoCo books from Lily and I really like the one about when CoCo goes to school - it was a great example for the kids to learn all about diabetes in a fun way - you can get both of the CoCo books at the Drs office.

14. kirsteng

Thx everyone for all the suggestions! :)

I really like the idea of a short book plus a q & a showing off the test kit and supplies.