- advertisement -

Recently switched from MiniMed CGMS to Dex G4

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by Gomod71, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Gomod71

Gomod71 Approved members

A happy and successful switch to G4 in our house.

I have a MiniMed CGMS & 3 boxes of sensors, all instructions, inserter, etc. available if anyone is interested.

send me PM.

2. solobaricsrock

solobaricsrock Approved members

Just switched myself. Awesome stuff. I hope yall's success is as good as mine so far.

3. ltomovski

ltomovski Approved members

Hi
    We are also thinking to switch from MM Guardian to Dexcom ..
    Our son is 6 years old and we are using his buttock for the sensor site .. but as the dexcom's transmitter is bigger do you think that site is still an option ..
    Where do you put the sensor ?
    Also I am interested how many days you stay with one sensor ... We are using MM Enlites and we manage to squeeze 7 days .. but I read that you can use a dexcom sensor for 14 days .. is that true .. and if yes how does it reflect on the insertion site .. is the flesh that is under the transmitter/sensor ok
    I can not think of anything else right now .. feel free to share if you think of something
    Best Regards
    Lazar
    one more thing .. Its said that the transmitter lasts 6 months and it is not recharged at all via its course .. how this happens .. do you have something like a battery monitor .. how do you know that it must be changed .. if I purchase two transmitters at the same time .. can I use them for a year ..
    Sry for my bad English .. I hope you can understand my question

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  4. MHoskins2179

MHoskins2179 Approved members

Yep, just switched about a month ago myself to G4... LOVE IT! Of course, as you would've guessed: FDA approves the new MedT cgm right after that. As I expected it would. Still, very happy with G4 and the studies show it's more accurate than the new Enlite anyhow, so even if I could switch, I wouldn't want to.

5. Brenda

Brenda Junior Member

Just a reminder that it is illegal to swap or sell prescription items.

6. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

The sensor wire is so thin that there is no mark left at all even after using it for 2 weeks, which we have done for a couple of years now. We didn't use the Minimed, so not sure about the size difference but I don't see why you couldn't use it in the same area. As long as you didn't remove the transmitter from the packaging, you should be fine storing it I would think. Once it is removed it starts the battery life. Most people are getting far longer than 6 months usage, but we changed at about 8 months just to be sure. You are supposed to get a message on the device that the battery life is almost to the end, but I don't recall anyone saying that it actually has happened to them.

7. ltomovski

ltomovski Approved members

Thanks for the answer ..
    Best Regards

8. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hi! We also switched from the MM to the Dex. We consistently get 14 days from a sensor, whereas we usually only got 7 days from the MM. The Dex leaves absolutely no marks on his skin. He wore the MM on his bottom, but wears the Dex on his arm. I don't know of any reason you couldn't use his bottom with the Dex, though you might want to give his arm a try.

We really love the Dex. We had good luck with the MM, but the Dex is so much easier to use, and it is slightly more accurate for us. Good luck! (Oh, and your English is very good!) :)

9. don04

don04 Approved members

How much real estate does he have stomach/arms etc. IE is your son super skinny?

The G4 transmitter is taller and skinnier than the MM which is flatter, but wider.

You can still do buttocks, but will need to stay below belt line, near the top... hips, arms, stomach, legs all work.

The G4 needle is much smaller than the MM. It goes in much smoother without the whole "try to figure out the right angle".

As for 14 days, the G3 will require a restart of the sensor after 7 days, but otherwise, I suppose you can keep it in as long as you dare without infection.