- advertisement -

Recall of freestyle test strips for PDM for low readings

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by 3kidlets, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

It's a mess for sure. And they have some complete idiots manning the phones. The one I got actually told me that I was already in their system, meaning that I had already called and gotten the 400 strips sent. I could not convince her that she was wrong. Asked for a supervisor and got someone's voice mail, that never called me back. They obviously pulled these people off of the streets with no training to take these calls. I seriously have never talked to a more stupid person in my life. I ended up calling back and got someone else that took care of it. I knew the PDM was reading low and had just gotten a new meter to try yesterday, but went ahead and got the Freestyle strips for this month. Abbott will not get another chance, the only reason we were still using them was the PDM. I have no faith that these strips work correctly in any meter now.

The pharmacies don't even have this info yet, and I have no idea how we are supposed to know if we are getting the "fixed" strips or the recalled ones.

2. caspi

caspi Approved members

First the Freestyle lite strips were approved for use, then we were told they weren't approved for use. People have been complaining about numbers not matching their A1C's for quite some time. Then Abbott pulled all Freestyle regular strips except for those used with the PDM, i.e. you couldn't buy them over the counter nor could you buy a Freestyle Meter that uses the regular strips. There has been issue after issue. I also wonder whatever happened to the agreement to switch the strips to One Touch that was supposed to occur after the roll out of the new PDM. This company is a hot mess, lol!

3. swellman

swellman Approved members

Firstly, the Freestyle Lite strips were never approved for use in the PDM that I know of. I'm pretty sure about that. The new "Butterfly" no code strips were released and, it came to pass, that they forgot or whatever to get the new strips approved for the meter in the PDM. They claimed this was a "paperwork" issue and it seems reasonable that it was. Then a few people were reporting that they were getting 30 points lower while many, many (including me) were getting the same readings from multiple meters and manufacturers. I suspect, as it happened with us, when new PDMs were being sent out for warranty claims, upgrades, new users, etc. more and more people were seeing 30 point differences at times. It seems some lots were spot on and other lots were 30 points low.

Then this.

What I meant was, it was all good for, at least, 5 years. This mess started somewhere between 18 and 24 months ago IIRC.

EDIT: To be clear, I'm not defending Abbott in any way. Only that the Freestyle integration in the PDM was golden for, at least, 5 years before it went south and then it wasn't a complete and immediate failure - it broke up reentering the atmosphere over a 24 month time period. To say that the Freestyle integration was a CF from the get go is misrepresenting the history of the PDM.

4. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

Lol. I just called abbott. I'm pretty sure they pulled the rep I was talking to off the street. The poor woman was very nice but clearly knew nothing about diabetes. I spent the whole call trying not to laugh. Anyway, like people have been saying they will send 400 "newly manufactured" (whatever that means) strips up front. I asked what would happen if I were to fill a prescription for freestyle strips this weekend and she said that those strips would be safe to use???? I'm questioning the accuracy of this claim but regardless I rarely use the omnipod meter and I never calibrate the dex with it and I don't think that is going to change, replacement strips or not. Also, I asked why they wanted my doctor's name and insurance number and she said they were just collecting it. I declined to give it and she said that was "cool."

5. caspi

caspi Approved members

I was speaking in a more general term of a CF in that Insulet has had issue after issue in the past few years. Our first PDM we ordered directly from Insulet 5 years ago came with a backup Freestyle Lite meter and Lite test strips. I never understood why, considering we were told to use the non-Lites, but I see how that became confusing for others. Then the no-code butterfly strip debacle. Then the pod issues, first with the older PDM due to static and the ones we are still experiencing from time to time from bad batches of pods. Not to mention the slow roll-out of the new PDM to existing customers.

The bottom line in all of this, however, is that my son still loves his Omnipod and has no desire to change. It is just baffling to me how a company can have issue after issue after issue.....

Edit to add: This is simply a vent on my behalf. :)

6. Melissata

You must have gotten the same person that I spoke with, but I wasn't laughing because she told me that I was in their system which meant that someone had already called. She just kept repeating the same information to me. I had to call back and get someone else, because asking for a supervisor got me nowhere. Later on my friend was given false info several times, including the fact that the pharmacies were informed. They were not, and are still able to order and sell those strips as of last night. I have a call into my new mail order company and will be interested if they even know yet. Just got the strips two days ago, so I want to see if they will swap them for another brand.

7. eloquine

eloquine Approved members

I am so angry. Like it's not enough we need to deal with diabetes, we also need to deal with poorly manufactured products.
    My son finally is kinda able to recognize when he was low, or so I thought. After testing him on his omnipod that said he was a 35 (!!!!!!), I check with Verio, 75. He says he is low, but he is 3, and loves his juice.
    I am tired, frustrated...

8. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

I think I spoke with the same one ;). But they're sending me 400 strips even if I said we have 300, so no complains here ;).

Did you give them contact to your pharmacy and dr.? Because I didn't... She told me that they have some problems and she'll call me back, but never did.
    Should I call them again?

9. sincity2003

sincity2003 Approved members

So I called, because we have 900 of these left in our supply and sometimes DS likes to use them at school with the meter we've left there. They will replace 400 and she will send my request to replace the additional 500 to a supervisor. I've already todl the school nurse not to allow him to use them, and just to send that kit home and we'd send her a OneTouch kit on Monday. So do I just throw these away then?

10. swellman

If I were still using them this is what I would do until I could get them replaced. I would compare a lot number to another meter or even two or three and if the lot was reading pretty close I would still use them. I would compare them to a control solution as well. It is my opinion that they are pretty consistent lot to lot and I would feel relatively confident using them if they matched on their controls, right in the middle of the range, and if they matched other meters. If they read artificially high I would not do this but that's not the case. There's nothing wrong, in my opinion, cruising around 75 or 80 when you think it's 100 however I wouldn't play the "let's assume it's 30 points lower" game.

I'm still having a really hard time understanding how this isn't a meter problem - it seems if they "fix" their strips some meters are going to read artificially high.

Another good reason to check control solutions on each new lot. I would also be asking for all three control solutions.

11. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

I just got off the phone with Abbott. In contrast to other recalls and issues, the call went well. As seems to be the case with others, they said they will send 400 strips by Fed Ex, assigned me a case number, and noted the number of additional strips we had and would need. The rep indicated that I would need to follow up on any request for more strips, which is okay with me. I don't have to return the existing strips, so although having DD carry a meter and the PDM is not optimal, we'll make that work.

My concern was that we had just been advised that our pharmacy benefit provider had obtained the needed pre-authorization for a new order of strips. I asked how I would know if the strips being sent in that order were subject to the recall or not and was told (after being transferred to the wrong number and having to call back), that no pharmacies have strips other than those that are subject to the recall and Abbott does not know when it will distribute non-recalled strips. Currently, only Abbott can provide strips that are not subject to the recall.

12. Melissata

I did tell them, but regret that I did. I'm so done with Abbott.

13. minniem

minniem Approved members

My understanding is that you can use the strips you have in the extra Freedom Freestyle meter that came with our Omnipod. You just can't use them in the Omnipod itself. Is that correct? I did a side by side comparison using the Freestyle Freedom meter and the Omnipod, and the Omnipod read about 25 points lower than the Freestyle meter. I only ask because we have about 900 strips and we only have the Freestyle strips so I want to use them if I can.

14. Megnyc

Megnyc Approved members

I didn't. I asked why they wanted it and she said they were "just collecting it". I declined and she didn't have an issue with that.

15. Joa

Joa Approved members

Yes, Abbott tells so. That is because, as said above, the FS and the FS-L Strips are totally equal only the package differs.

So if you use them in a meter without manual coding the FreeStyl strips become originally FreeStyle lite strips.
    Vice versa you can also take FreeStyle lite strips in the pod's PDM or any other Abbott FreeStyle meter that needs coding with same results.

The relationship between code and BG-numbers is shown in a graph from a quick test: "How measure FreeStyle test strips on code 16".

Regards
    Joa

16. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I'm kind of shocked by the number of people on facebook groups who are reporting they have no back up meter of any sort.

I still need to call ours in. We have a freedom meter and are using that in the meantime. I also have a viero and an insulex if this seems to end up being a mess I'll just switch our prescription to use one of those meters. Luckily I haven't ordered strips in a while so it won't be a problem to get some.

Neither Omnipod nor Abbott seem to think through any of these things like recalls or rollouts. My question is I get that Abbott manufactures the meter part of the PDM. But if I have a Ford car and my ignition switch doesn't work I go to Ford and have it fixed not to whatever supplier made the ignition. Insulet is saying it's Abbott's thing. Okay but it's in your product shouldn't you know what the problem is?

17. Melissata

I understand what you are saying, but since Abbott made such a big deal in this country that the strips can't be used interchangeably, no one seems to believe it is true.

18. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

That is my understanding as well. We also did a side-by-side comparison using the Freestyle strips in the Freestyle Freedom meter and in the Omnipod PDM. In the a.m, the Omnipod was 23 points lower than the Freedom meter (but within the accuracy standards), but at lunch time it was reversed!

I do regret not getting control solution, we've been out for a while as I test the strips very infrequently.

19. swellman

It's only because the manufacturer says they're not compatible. Why on Earth would they go to all the trouble of lying and misleading the general public if the strips were identical and cross compatible? Can someone point to a reputable resource that indicates the strips are identical like a company representative or someone who works on their manufacturing line?

20. Mish

Mish Approved members

I'd like to know as well. Insulet's website clearly says not to use "lite" strips. It serves no purpose for Abbott continue to manufacture non-lite strips for meters which are now all recalled and which haven't been on the market for years. The number of omnipod users as % of Abbott's total strip market must be fairly small. So, if they've always been cross compatible as some are claiming, wouldn't Freestyle simply had said so and saved themselves a lot of money? It makes no sense that they'd continue to manufacture and market strips that weren't necessary.