- advertisement -

rebounds

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Rusty, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Rusty

Rusty Approved members

I was wondering if someone could explain the concept of rebounds to me. I have read that when bg gets very low the body will spit out glucose to try to save itself. I was reading on a differnt thread about the lowest lows pepole have treated. What i dont understand is why rebounds can happen and not happen ? I would really appriciate if someone would explain why and how rebounds occur for some pepole and not others.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Liver + glucagon. I don't mean the glucagon that comes in an emergency kit, I mean the glucagon produced in the islet cells, in the pancreas. The role of the alpha cells is to make glucagon to signal to the liver to release glucose.
    Usually, when the body reaches a low blood sugar threshhold, which is different in different people and depends partly on what numbers the body is used to, the alpha cells step up production of glucagon. Then, IF but only IF the liver has more sugar to release, it releases it.
    Glucagon signalling is abnormal in the majority of type 1 diabetics because of injury sustained while the neighboring beta cells got destroyed, but it's usually still there.

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

The body does not like BG to be low, esp. not the brain which gets panicky. So signals go out as BG starts dropping, and kick all sorts of different emergency systems into gear to try to get BG back up.

In our experience - the sharper the drop and the harder the low, the stronger the rebound. Of course if there's been a real insulin overdose, then it will overwhelm the rebound.

But if DD is gently drifting low (around 60 and dropping slowly), she'll gently get pushed up to around 70, before starting lower again..

4. Heather(CA)

Heather(CA) Approved members

A reason a rebound may not happen is because there have been lots of lows that day, or a previous rebound and the "stores" have not been replenished. I don't know this for a fact, but also when exercise highs occur, it's like having a rebound w/o the low. That's why i will test Seth at night after exercise, because if he does go low, the stores just might not be there to help.

5. twicker1

twicker1 Approved members

The way it was explained and I remember is that that the liver has stored up sugar. When you get low, the liver kicks out the sugar to bring BG up. Depending on the person, how low, etc, you can deplete the the sugar stored up in the liver. After several lows, or a severe low, you can be left without an ample supply of sugar in the liver to help with another low soon after. You have to build up another supply. Maybe a couple of days or a week.

Considering the sugar is stored in the liver, this is why it is dangerous for people with diabetes to drink alcohol. You can have a dangerous low while drinking. With drinking, the liver is so busy processing the alcohol that if you start to go low it doesn't "think" to release the stored up sugar.

I know the drinking wasn't part of the question you had, but just a little tidbit of info.:D