- advertisement -

really, seriously???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momtojess, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swellman

swellman Approved members

Opinions weren't allowed 2 years ago?

EDIT: I just have to say that suggesting it was a better place before all the new, less than 2 year old, members joined is incredibly obnoxious but I guess that would just make me part of the problem.

2. KatieJane'smom

KatieJane'smom Approved members

IMO, it has nothing at all to do with any new members at all but with the general atmosphere - in general...

I think it has more to do with lack of common courtesy combined with an occasional crazy thrown in.

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

On my part, it's not a suggestion that the newer board participants have rendered the site less pleasant. Members who wish to provoke or toy with other members have always been around and have always (and by always I refer to *my* always of about 4 years here) drawn attention, sooner or later.

What I feel (and I speak only for myself, not for the mythial "they") is that more latitude and trust are extended to the unknown, and far less latitude and trust are extended to the known. (Call it newbies and oldtimers if you wish.) Seeing respected and knowledgeable members, who have given of their time and their hearts helping and supporting other members, slapped down without real reason...that has made this a different place for me.

4. kiwiliz

kiwiliz Approved members

It is that old "forum rather than face to face" thing again. I don't think that this has anything to do with "new" or "old" I read it as being a wish for a more gentle and supportive atmosphere that encourages people to post without fear of criticism.

5. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

This made me laugh!
    But isn't it true?! I guess I think about what I thought I "knew" about my children and then BAM just days later I find out I am wrong (again!).

I come here because no matter what I get honest answers. Maybe not perfect, but usually there a few gems that get me through for making better decisions about caring for not only my child but also understanding my husband and type 1 diabetes. I appreciate it here.
    I am not always perfectly friendly, but again, I think that also goes with being a sleep deprived nincompoop somedays (when I would rather be sleeping) but utilize this thread at all hours to keep me awake to do another BG check or learn more before I have to face the d monster once again.
    I don't know how it was two years ago, and I am thankful for that, but I know that today it is helpful to me.

6. SarahKelly

SarahKelly Approved members

I would also like to add that the whole "newbies/old timers" idea may be the heart of the problem. We're truly all in this together. In this sucks a@# camp with diabetes. No matter if it's four of our children with d, one spouse, two aunts, an uncle, and grandparent...we're all here to learn about d and how to make better decisions for our loved ones regarding that same thing. I think like any other social gathering things aren't perfect and yes, maybe the "newbies" need to be a bit more respectful, but hopefully the "oldies" can also remember way back when their CWD was diagnosed and how they felt like they were drowning...this website is quick to find and people land here with bucketloads of questions and often no where else to go. I hope others with newly dx children find comfort here, and if they're hostile jerks for a while I might ignore it as it is part of grieving the loss of the "perfectly healthy" child we all dreamed of...or lovingly reminding them that we're all in this crappy boat together, and they need to join the group without being hurtful or leave.
    Maybe I am overstepping my place here...I don't know...just how I see things.

7. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

Well, for you to say it is suggested that the reason it was a better place 2 yrs ago before the newbies were here . is completely obnoxious in itself.

I said I liked it better 2 yrs ago, not that it was a better place. Yes, opinions were allowed back then, and every other thread wasn't pulled and deleted when things weren't all hugs and smiles. It isn't a newbie vs oldie issue, it is an admin issue.

8. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Agreed.
    In the end, this is what it all boils down to. We are a support group for parents, family, friends of CWD. We may disagree at times, but we are here for each other.

Sometimes, this message can get lost in our everyday banterings.

10. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

11. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

I couldn't agree more!

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Actually, if I'm reading the OP correctly, I think you've got it completely wrong.

13. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

14. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm quoting the OP above - I think this thread has gone way off what she originally was posting about. Please read what she herself says. This isn't a newbie vs oldie issue.

15. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

In the old days I would stalk your posts making wise cracks all over the board. I can't wise crack on this.

If that isn't high praise for the point you make I don't know what is.

I hope though that isn't really a change but a comment on the real core value we share.

LY/MI brother.

16. Brensdad

Brensdad Approved members

Ditto, brother. Ditto.

17. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

LY/MI everybody:cwds:

18. Darryl

Darryl Approved members

19. twodoor2

twodoor2 Approved members

That post brought me out of lurkdom. I haven't posted here in eons, but I heard about this, and it breaks my heart. It also hits too close to home.

The reason I stopped posting was because I felt depressed here. It really made me think about T1D a lot, and although it is a difficult disease to deal with and manage, I felt life must go on. However, threads like what happened to that poor Ellish really do bring it back the full and horrific nature of this terrible disease.

I'm very grateful to CWD for all the support I've had, and all the the things I've learned. I would not have been able to make it without this wonderful forum. That's why when a coworker recently told me that her 5 year old was just diagnosed, the first thing I said after how terribly sorry I was, "please join CWD." It was a lifesaver for me, and many others.

20. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

Hi Marsha! :D

Every time we have a "technical" thread here, someone inevitably says, "I wish Marsha was here to weigh in on this," or the like. You are missed, but I'm glad you are getting on with life, and I understand why you left. :eek:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.