advertisement

really, seriously???

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by momtojess, Oct 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. momtojess

momtojess Approved members

I miss the old CWD from 2 yrs ago....just saying.

2. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Yup yup yup...same.

3. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

why what was different? Are you talking about an actual child with diabetes or this board? LOL!

4. momtojess

The forums.

5. Flutterby

Flutterby Approved members

I'm a little surprised myself.

6. manda81

manda81 Approved members

I wasn't here two years ago, but if you're talking about the hostility, I see it as well. =/

I don't post a ton because I'm not here to get my head bit off.

Why is it that when someone asks a question, they have to answer 20 before they can get an answer? I always feel bad when I see people come here for help, and get grilled.:(

7. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I have been on this site just about since it was formed.

The biggest change I have noticed is there are so many insulin regimes out there that there isn't some blanket advice that applies to everyone.

It appears to me that folks are asking for advice, but sometimes don't offer enough information for folks to answer very well. The responders to a thread are looking for additional clues to offer help. The age, sex, date of diagnosis, and current treatment plan are all very helpful in offering succinct advice as these factors make a big difference.

Some responders may not pick up on the fact that a person starting a thread just wants to vent.

8. samheis

samheis Approved members

I've been absent for almost a year from cwd. Definitely different vibes going on here.

9. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I actually see that as a good thing, as someone else has also said. There are so many variables to diabetes care that it's important to give a response based on that individual's unique circumstances and often we can't give information unless we ask 20 questions first. It is usually helpful if users give all the details to their situation up front.

I think it does no one any good when a user asks a question and instead of getting factual answers based on that user's unique situation the user instead gets 20 posts that simply say "oh hugs, you're doing the best you can."

Perhaps we need a forum for real help and a forum where users can simply post if they want to vent and get hugs and not have anything questioned?

10. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I miss the CWD from about 10 years ago :p

Of course the forums, such as they were, were VERY different then. I didn't particularly like the format at all, but everyone was super friendly.

I don't really get that vibe any more.. I definitely see a lot of "well I know more than you do" type attitudes, and people just don't seem to have the patience they used to.

11. valerie k

valerie k Approved members

yes, when really old threads get bumped, and I read names... I miss the posters. I wish them all well and wish they would come back.

12. momtojess

THIS is what I am talking about. Sadly, they have left for good reason. Its doubtful they will come back until that reason is fixed and by what I have seen this morning, it won't be fixed anytime soon. I wish I could just walk away but I am still drawn here for some reason, but I am editing alot!

13. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

I think part of the problem is that in the last few years many long timers here have been burned several times now by people shall we say misrepresenting themselves. It can be emotionally draining investing energy into someone and finding out they have been untruthful. Unfortunately now there seems to be suspicion cast on newcomers, especially if they get some details wrong or are not fully forthcoming with them. We have to remember that we probably got details mixed up too in the beginning and that not everyone has been on forums before so may be hesitant. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt as I'd hate to turn away someone in genuine need. Sometimes I must admit I cringe at the way some newcomers are treated and am quite sad that this is their first experience on this usually amazing community.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2010
  14. miss_behave

miss_behave Approved members

Perhaps I'm missing something? Is there a specific reason people have left? I don't spend all that much time here these days, I guess I'm on the outer a bit :eek:

15. momtojess

Nope, you didn't miss a thing.

16. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Rather than suspicion, I see it more as caution. Personally, I am much more cautious about engaging and /or trusting a newbie than I used to be, drawing on my own experience with people being less than forthright in their online lives.

That said, suspicion and prudence born of experience are not always unwarranted.

The prevailing undercurrent of newbie vs oldtimer (definitions of which vary) is what bothers me, along with the general lack of respect for those "oldtimers."

Last edited: Oct 19, 2010
  17. ecs1516

ecs1516 Approved members

Not sure if this relates but why has a poster this morning who asked a good question been giving a one star for terrible post.:confused:

18. Lee

Lee Approved members

Right there with ya Sister!

19. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Until and unless every person who rated the thread confesses to and explains their vote, we will never know.

20. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Yeah I could do without the stars, feel like Im a star bellied sneetch with one star upon thars;) I miss the busy chatroom myself:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.