- advertisement -

Reality check time

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by jcanolson, May 2, 2012.

1. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Would you be OK with your Type 1 15 year old going on a mission trip for over a week to a 3rd world country...small village...in 100+ degree heat with a group who doesn't even know her?

Just trying to see if my over-protective mother meter is skewed. ;)

2. KatieSue

KatieSue Approved members

I'd probably have a nervous breakdown but I'd let her go. Pack lots of extra supplies etc.

3. tonnia

tonnia Approved members

No I would not be comfortable with that. I may be over protective also but way too much involved there.

4. LoveMyHounds

LoveMyHounds Approved members

I wouldn't let her go even if she was perfectly healthy ;).

5. akgiauque

akgiauque Approved members

Not unless I was going along with them.
    A 15 yo in a 3rd world country without Diabetes would be bad enough but the level of care needed in case of an emergency would be my concern.

The questions that come to mind are: What is the mission? Who is in charge? Can they reach me in an emergency? Where is the country? Is it or a country close by at war? What are the doctors like? Where is the closest real hospital?

Yep that does it for me I would not let her go.

6. jcanolson

Add to this....on the team last year, over half the kids were intensely sick for 2-3 days from food poisoning or traveler's sickness.

7. caspi

caspi Approved members

Nope, I wouldn't. But I wouldn't have let my non-D child go either.

8. TheLegoRef

TheLegoRef Approved members

I'd only let her go if I was going too. And maybe not even then, depending on answers to other questions that akgiauque asked.

9. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

depends on the level of care and availability of assistance, 3rd world country does not always mean what people may attach to it.

10. jcanolson

Pretty remote. I think nearest medical center would be 1-2 hours away over mountainous dirt roads.

11. minniem

minniem Approved members

I would not let her go, but I wouldn't let my non-D kids go either.

12. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I wouldn't let a child go on such a mission trip - diabetes or no. He/she can do that as an adult. Too many risks and not enough benefits -- definitely questionable for the folks who are the recipients of those going on a mission trips.

13. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Wow, I'm sure it would be an amazing opportunity, but I'd have to say no -- even to my non-D child.

Best of luck with your difficult decision!!

14. emm142

emm142 Approved members

I wouldn't feel comfortable going at 19, let alone 15.

15. jcanolson

Not my kid. I have a friend is who one of the leaders. I just about had a heart attack when she mentioned the situation. Just wondered if my reaction off.

16. funnygrl

funnygrl Approved members

I wouldn't go as an adult with diabetes. I've had food poisoning where I'm certain I would have been in trouble if I couldn't get to the hospital quickly for some IV fluids and glucose. It sounds like if so many kids were sick last year the food and water safety is questionable, and medical help is too far away. I hate to sound like a nay-sayer, but how much help can teenagers in one week really provide to a 3rd world country that larger nations, national charities, and the UN haven't been able to help in years?

17. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

I agree with everyone here

I wouldn't let my child type 1 or not - leave the country. Too many dangers and risks.

Type 1 complicates it even more.

Sorry - I would pass and do some home missions. Surely there are missions here your child can get involved with. I think our youth group always does in the states mission trips.

18. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I think by stating what you have stated, you've answered your own question.

D or no D, I wouldn't let my kid go. Gods work can be done safely in many other places.

19. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

How about doing work for Habitat for humanity? Or working at a summer camp for kids with special needs? Working in an inner city soup kitchen or women's shelter.

There is PLENTY to do here in the US.

20. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

I would strongly advise your friend to rethink the safety of bringing a type one child on this trip when you take the stomach illness into consideration. EVERY SINGLE TIME Ava gets a stomach bug she winds up in the hospital needing IV fluids and glucose to clear ketones. I think this is a TERRIBLE idea.