- advertisement -

Ready for any emergency

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 1' started by Lnj1971, Sep 7, 2007.

1. Lnj1971

Lnj1971 New Member

While chatting with a (diabetic) friend yesterday, we got to talking about when my pump malfunctioned 1 1/2 yrs ago. I mentioned to her how unprepared I was and how it taught me a lesson. She suggested I post my "emergency kit" on a few forums, to at least get people thinking about it.

First and foremost, pumpers shouldn't get too comfy! I was so comfy after 4+ years of pumping that I didn't even own syringes anymore. Keep a box of 100 shots stashed away, even in the back of the linen closet if you don't want to be reminded of those horrible things! I also now keep an unopened bottle of Lantus in the fridge. They are usually good for 1 1/2 years.

Travel aside, keep a letter from the doctor regarding your condition and meds in a safe place. In that same place keep UNDATED scripts for syringes, both long and short acting insulin, test strips, and any other supply that you can't go even a day without (I think Katrina taught us that lesson).

Lastly, if you are traveling, in addition to taking along everything listed here, check with your pump company: some of them offer free loaner programs, where you take a brand new, sealed pump with you on vacation. That way you have a spare if yours should malfunction (you know, like on a cruise ship in the middle of the ocean).

Hope these tips help someone out there!