- advertisement -

Reading anything good???

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Sep 22, 2010.

1. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

And i am currently reading, "And then there were none" and Agatha Christy read... My son has to read it in school so I thought I'd read it too... He has his book, I have mine! this way I can help him with homework, etc...lol After the first pages, it finally started to pick up!

2. Diana

Diana Approved members

Oh, I just started this today. I'm so glad it is good!!

3. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

About 100 pages into Tami Hoag's newest, Secrets to the Grave.
    I love medical mysteries and forensic stuff... I'm a science nerd!
    So far, this one's really kind of chilling, but very good.

4. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

I'm about 300 pages into the "Fall of Giants" by Ken Follett. It's a good story, but so far not a page turner like his other books. But I do have over 600 pages left so who knows!

5. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

I also LOVED A dog's purpose. If you are an animal lover. Oogy, is another great one and so is Katie up and down the hall. I loved the first book in Evan's new series The Walk. The Help was an awesome book. I also adored The Hunger games trilogy. I will let you know when I finish my large backlog of books.
    Wendy

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The Glass Castle by Jeanette Walls.
    It was incredible.

7. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Wasn't it? I could not believe some of the parts. It's amazing there are people like that out there.

8. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

If you liked The Glass Castle, you will like Broken Horses, based on Walls' grandmother.

ETA- The title is Half Broke Horses

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  9. onthego

onthego Approved members

My sister recommended The Heart Mender by Andy Andrews to me... haven't read it yet but it's next on my list.

10. Ed2009

Ed2009 Approved members

For entertainment purposes, you can't go wrong with the following books. Not masterpieces, but readable, amusing, gripping, and entertaining.

In order of my preference:

Impact (Douglas Preston): Nice almost SciFi (no flying saucers, but some out of this world elements), nicely put together, the right amount of everything. The best of the 3.

The Altman Code: A classic Robert Ludlum, with the usual interesting twists. Good luck helps the main character quite a bit, but well, the fate of the world always depends on the flip of a coin together with the undercover agent stunts.

Dead Even (Brad Meltzer): Good thriller. The plot is a bit stretched-out (you might hear yourself say "Awww, com'on!"), but who cares.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Oooh! Thanks. I'll pass that info onto my book club.

12. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

Sorry! The title is Half Broke Horses. (Don't take pain pills and try to write anything that makes sense!)

13. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Edith Wharton's "The House of Mirth", really enjoying it.

14. sooz

sooz Approved members

I just finished reading this book, and I can tell you, if you read it, you will never think about WWII in the same way. Men who were my father's generation..perhaps your grandfathers? and what they endured to give us the life we take for granted. We think of our children as heroes, and they are..and we think of all they endure, and they do..but this is a story for inspiraton and survival and resilience that I hope is never repeated. The human spirit is amazing...and this is a TRUE STORY, that is what makes it even more amazing...a guy's book, a woman's book..a family's book..a book about humanity. I have always read fiction, but the last two books I have read are non fiction and I really got so much from them.

15. mandapanda1980

mandapanda1980 Approved members

I am a big suspense/thriller fan. I love Ted Dekker. He's a christian author so his stories have a good moral story too. Just finished Immanuel's Veins and am now about 100 pages into Burn. A favorite of mine since it was a requirement in 7th grade is They Cage the Animals at night by Jennings Michael Birch. True story of his life going through orphanages and foster homes. Great book but be prepared to cry

16. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

+1 on Ted Dekker. Big fan of his stuff.

17. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I get books at the library weekly.

Yet I still do most of my reading online. My most recent find was Imprimus, which is a collection of speeches that I find interesting.

Here is one paragraph from one speech (actually in this case an interview) on one topic:

"LA: You don't think the Smoot-Hawley tariff caused the Depression?

MF: No. I think the Smoot-Hawley tariff was a bad law. I think it did harm. But the Smoot-Hawley tariff by itself would not have made one quarter of the labor force unemployed. However, reducing the quantity of money by one third did make a quarter of the labor force unemployed. When I graduated from undergraduate college in 1932, I was baffled by the fact that there were idle machines and idle men and you couldn't get them together. Those men wanted to cooperate; they wanted to work; they wanted to produce what they wore; and they wanted to produce the food they ate. Yet something had gone wrong: The government was mismanaging the money supply. "

http://www.hillsdale.edu/news/imprimis/archive/issue.asp?year=2006&month=07

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011