- advertisement -

Reading anything good???

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Sep 22, 2010.

1. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I did. That's how I found out about the books. I think they are supposed to be making a movie or something, but I'd rather have a second season of the series.

2. shekov

shekov Approved members

I really enjoyed the book since I'd read "Running With Scissors" by his brother (truely disturbing book).

I didn't get the impression that all Aspergians were like him. I just enjoyed his story.

I plan to check out Song of the Gorilla Nation as well. I have met a few Aspergians through work and am so interested in improving communication by learning more about Aspergers through personal accounts, not Dr.s.

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

What annoys me about him, is that I think it's that he, as a male author is getting heaps of praise for writing the "great American novel" when I think if a woman had written it, it would be "yet another domestic novel...yawn"

I'm a sucker for in "influenza book" :eek: I think I've read them all.

Like Gladwell, don't think I know Russo ... and I had forgotten about Chabon. I think I have a copy of his latest somewhere;)

Thanks.

Edit - Oh, duh ... Empire Falls! Yes, should be on my list! ;-)

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I have a confession to make. I cannot concentrate on one thing for too long, because my mind just starts to wander, so sometimes I get kids' books on interesting issues, like the Vikings or teh Crusades and read them, because the info is given in short spurts, but just enough to give you a good idea of what is was all about.:eek::eek::eek:

If only Using Insulin and Pumping Insulin were written that way. Sigh.

5. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I thought The Corrections was a mess. But it was virtually universally loved, so what do I know? Once I read that his new book was "just as good as" The Corrections, it fell off of my list permanently.

I loved Empire Falls. One of the few instances where I agree with the critical acclaim.

Sadly, I am at a point in my life where I just cannot tackle books that require a ton of thought anymore. I am busy, sleep-deprived, and rarely have more than 5 uninterruped minutes of reading time. I'm currently reading The Scarpetta Factor. It's not even that great (Patricia Cornwall has run the Scarpetta series into the ground, IMO), but it's mind-candy, which has its purpose too.

Other "mind-candy" authors I enjoy are Nelson DeMille (really, I love him), Harlan Coban, Baldacci, and Grisham. I used to like James Patterson, but he's whored himself out as a "co-author" so much that I can't tolerate his stuff anymore. I think he just allows his name to be used.

6. KHM

KHM Approved members

I hated The Corrections. I haven't read his new one and that comparison is hardly an endorsement...

I'm noticing a trend: I love everything else Russo has written but this one I could NOT read.

I have renewed my love of the short story for this reason. Sadly, its harder to find good short fiction than novels. The New Yorker often provides enough entertainment for me. Since the Atlantic Monthly began publishing quarterly (hello? time for a name change, people) sometimes I've had to look harder to find stuff...

7. KHM

KHM Approved members

Chabon has been prolific for a fairly young guy; there's a lot to enjoy there. Russo is the king of Everyman characters, mostly all near-losers that manage to capture sympathy. I like especially Nobody's Fool and Straight Man.

8. jcanolson

jcanolson Approved members

Just finished The Hunger Games trilogy.

9. Liongirl4

Liongirl4 Approved members

I just read the book The Cross Gardener by Jason Wright (The Wednesday Letters). Its about a man who loses his wife..it will definately make you shed a tear..but there is a good ending..I know its fiction but it does get you thinking about life and death.

10. goochgirl

goochgirl Approved members

I never get to read anything, really. Lucky if I get 2 books in a year. I just read my 2! Rocket Men and Buzz Aldrin's autobiography Magnificent Desolation. I learned alot. I had no idea of the real reason we were in the space race with Russia.

11. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

I'm finishing up the trilogy of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (tattoo, played with fire, kicked the hornets nest)

I'm liking Hornets nest the best of the 3. The first was good, in the middle. The beginning was slow, the end was slow the middle 100 pages were fabulous. Fire was a bit better, but still a very slow start.

12. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

That is exactly how I saw the trilogy too. After that I read the Rainmaker from Grisham, I know I'm late but I loved it. Then I read 2 juicy Jacky Collins novels (the latest 2 in the Lucky Santangelo series). I will finish the 2nd one today. Then I am going to read the latest Grisham, just downloaded it on my Kindle ;)

13. onthego

onthego Approved members

LOVED The Help!! Don't think The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls has been mentioned yet- I really enjoyed it.

14. Jensmami

Yes, I loved The Help too!!! Great read!

15. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Just finished the Hunger Games trilogy upon Madison's recommendation. I quite enjoyed it and I just found out that a hunger games movie is now in the works w/ Robert Downey Jr as Haymitch :).

Lisa See's Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
    The Help
    The Glass Castle - Jeanette Walls
    1st 2 Dragon Tattoo books (haven't read #3 because I don't like reading hard back books because they are too heavy :))
    The Girls
    Samauri's Garden
    Memory Keeper's Daughter - Kim Edwards

I could go on and on, but these are a few of my favorites that come to mind. I am thinking of asking for a Kindle for Christmas - any thoughts on getting a Kindle? Like it / Love it / Hate it?

16. Diana

Diana Approved members

I love the Kindle although I admit it makes me feel a little bit like a traitor ( I LOVE books and book stores). It just makes it so easy to buy and read books.

I read Cutting for Stone and Middlesex based on recommendations here - and they were both excellent. Especially Cutting for Stone.

For those who liked The Glass Castle, the author has another book - Half Broke Horses - that is also excellent.

17. MissMadisonsMom

MissMadisonsMom Approved members

Hurray, I've been waiting for her to write another - This will be top on my list to get.

18. Diana

Diana Approved members

If you like Half Broke Horses, I bet you will like These is My Words. It's another really good one - although it is purely fiction.

Hmm. I saw you liked the Lisa See book. Shanghai Girls is also very good. And I also liked The Calligrapher's Daughter a lot (different author) and also The Concubine's Daughter (by Pai Kit Fai).

Another non-fiction that is really good - although difficult to read because of the subject matter - is When Broken Glass Floats. It's about a family's struggles to survive the Khmer Rouge in Cambodia.

19. Jensmami

I LOVE my Kindle!!! It is so much easier to read on, when tired or on the Subway. I don't like Hardcover books either because they are so heavy, I don't have that problem with the Kindle anymore. Besides we live in Manhattan, so space is limited. :p But I still love bookstores, and I know I don't help the cause.

20. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

It's been awhile since we had a guy recommendation. I traveled this week and finished two Ted Dekker books: Burn and The Bride Collector. Both were excellent.