- advertisement -

Reading anything good???

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Sep 22, 2010.

1. CamsMom

CamsMom Approved members

Mr. Fitzwilliam Darcy: The last man in the world.
    I am a HUGE Pride and Prejudice fan.

Loved The Help.

Also, am reading the new book out by Steven Curtis Chapmans wife, Choosing to See.

2. KyleBugsMom

KyleBugsMom Approved members

If you like mysteries:
    "Rizzoli & Isles" Series by Tess Gerritsen

If you like mysteries with a ton of humor (seriously edge-of-your-seat, but crying laughing):
    Myron Bolitar Series by Harlan Coben.

3. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

If you like historical fiction, I highly recommend Philippa Gregory. She writes primarily about the Tudor dynasty. As with all historical fiction, at times she takes great liberties with the actual "historical" parts, but it's a good read and it was the jumping off point for me to really delve into the actual history of the time. Of course, when I reread books (especially, The Other Boleyn Girl and The Boleyn Inheritance I end up screaming at the book "That's not how it happened!" Still, they are fun books to read and I highly recommend them!

4. FloridaMom

FloridaMom Approved members

I loved "Middlesex." It really makes you reconsider your thoughts on gender identity. I learned a lot from it.

5. FloridaMom

We could be friends. :)

A Prayer For Owen Meany is one of my all-time faves, and the Stephanie Plum series makes me want to get a "Babe" sticker for my car. I saw a "Cupcake" sticker the other day. I'm more of a Ranger gal though.

6. FloridaMom

I just finally read it this year. I couldn't put it down. I really didn't think I could possibly enjoy something written so long ago. It shocked me how much I enjoyed it! I watched the movie right after I finished it and thought they did a great job.

7. FloridaMom

Are you watching the show? I'm loving it.

8. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I'm MUCH more of a nonfiction kind of guy.
    Right now I'm reading As They See 'Em: A Fan's Travels in the Land of Umpires, which I think is a really good book.

Another book I recently enjoyed is Strange Red Cow and Other Curious Classifed Ads From the Past by Sara Bader

9. shekov

shekov Approved members

Now this sounds interesting...

I just finished The Bone Setter's Daughter by Amy Tan and The Help. Really enjoyed them both.

I'm currently reading Look Me in the Eye: My Life With Asperger's by John Elder Robison. So far it's GREAT

10. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

Thank you so much! I'm always looking for new authors. I can't wait to request her books from the library!

11. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

As an Aspergian myself, I really disliked the way the other generalizes, as though everybody with the diagnosis is going to share his experiences. I did like reading about those guitars though.
    One of my favorite Asperger's accounts is Song of the Gorilla Nation by Dawn Prince-Hughes (I like the other two books of hers that I've read too).

12. sisterbeth43

sisterbeth43 Approved members

I love Pride and Prejudice also. Have read it numerous times starting over 50 yrs ago when I was in HS. I also read "The Golden Chalice" then and would like to reread it, but it was so thick, I don't think I can hold it these days.
    I also read a lot of Debbie Macombers books. They are light reading and I enjoy them.
    Started House Rules by Jodi Picoult, but haven't finished it yet-- a bit hard to get into.

13. TEXSONMOM

TEXSONMOM Approved members

I go online to B & N and see what is coming out in the next couple of months - then go online to the library and get on the waiting list. Without fail 3-4 books will come in at once. Right now I am reading James Patterson, The Postcard Killers which is due back on Saturday and then I forgot my Book Club meets this Thursday and I am only on Page 6 of A Reliable Wife by
    Robert Goolrick. So far so good but I don't think I am going to make either deadline to finish since I am also redoing my kitchen and bathroom...taking down wallpaper etc.

I love Harlen Coban and Stephanie Plum books too

14. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I've just started reading The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency series.

15. KHM

KHM Approved members

Franzen is pretty credible; don't let the Oprah endorsement put you off :) Have you read any Eggers, Chabon, Richard Russo? Safron-Foer? Those rarely disappoint.

I read a lot of non-fiction, too. I liked Freakonomics and its followup but the author has slipped my mind: maybe Malcolm Gladwell? Recently read two epics of James Barry's: Rising Tide and The Great Influenza Pandemic. Both can be too detailed but glossing over the parts that make your eyes cross won't limit the great accounts he makes of those events.

16. KHM

KHM Approved members

Me, too! So have you read Barry's account of the 1918 Flu Pandemic? That was amazing. So was The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks which is more about medical ethics and disparities in quality of care but a really important story.

17. KHM

KHM Approved members

Have you tried Mr. Darcy Takes a Wife? I have it in my waiting to be read pile but all of my girlfriends love it...

18. KHM

KHM Approved members

i enjoyed a number of those very much! Did you happen to catch the one season HBO did starring Jill Scott as Mma. Ramatswe? i really enjoyed it.

19. KHM

KHM Approved members

Has anyone checked out the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society? Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows. Relentlessly charming, funny, great characters and a great way of telling the story. A great read.

20. Gaia

Gaia Approved members

Medical nerd here too but I think Ive read everything in that catagory that my library offers. :( Small town library.

This weekend, I finished books 2 & 3 of Nora Roberts 'Bride Quartet' and while I was in the ER yesterday, I finished Christine Feehans latest 'Water Bound' that a co-worker lent me. Still working on 'Virgin Warrior - Life and Death of Joan of Arc' and last night I started a new series - 'The Mortal Instruments - Book 1- City of Bones' by Cassandra Clare. Its not bad. ( I have book 2 - City of Ashes too. I often get @ 10-12 books at a time from the library)

Unfortunately Im having a hard time finding new stuff at the library although I do have a couple on request including 'Eat, Love, Pray'.....I love biographies and autobiographies especially about famous women in history. My fave so far was Marie Antionette. :) And recently I read about Queen Victoria.

:eek: Yea, I read a lot, and often more than 1 at a time. Ppl always ask me where I find the time. I MAKE time. It helps me relax and I can read and still be available for my family. I also make a point of reading in bed at night. It seems to help me wind down so I can sleep!

Last edited: Oct 6, 2010