- advertisement -

Reading anything good???

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Jensmami

Jensmami Approved members

LOL, I have all those free books too! Now I am only getting them when they have at least 4 stars.

2. Jensmami

I thought too that it started very slow, but then I could not put the books down. I think the 3rd book was my favorite.

3. Jensmami

I read this one, and all though I finished it, I never got into it. That's why it took me forever to finish it. I'm curious to hear how you like it. :)

4. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Another vote for The Help if you've not read that, my favorite read of the year by far.

I'm currently reading a Jodi Picoult, Mercy. It's OK, not my favorite of hers but readable.

Just finished reading an oldie, A Tree grows in Brooklyn, loved that, have Cold Sassy Tree waiting for me, must be on a "tree" binge!

5. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

Outlander Series by Diana Gibaldon - I am reading (listening) to the last one An Echo in the Bone. Did not start out as good as Outlander and others but is getting good.

6. VinceysMom

VinceysMom Approved members

I could LIVE in a library and I'd be really really happy!:p

I am currently reading, "Captive of My Desire" by Johanna Lindsey. I never read her stuff, and was looking for something different. I just finished up "The Walk" by Richard Paul Evans (i've read ALL of his); and before that was God Never Blinks (Brett) and before that was Hannah's List (MacComber).

Happy reading!

7. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Currently reading...

Fiction: The Bearers of the Black Staff by Terry Brooks
    Non-fiction: Seven Events that Made America America by Larry Schweikart

8. shekov

shekov Approved members

A few books that I loved are The Time Traveller's Wife by Audrey Neffen....something, and A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

I read books for fun that aren't what I'd refer to as "literature" like anything Janet Evanovich writes because it's easy to read and , well, FUN.

Other things I read because I relish every sentence like a well crafted meal, even if it isn't a fast read.

Others I force myself to read because I think I should and am always disappointed.

BTW, I had just purchased Freedom when Oprah chose it and now don't think I'll be able to read it. I've tried reading a number of books she chose for her book club and only got through one that I would recommend (and I didn't know it was on the list)...The Good Earth by Pearl Buckley.

9. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I'd love to talk when you finish, I've wanted to discuss that book with someone for a while! LOVE that series.

10. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Oh, I loved that book!

11. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

Always Looking Up: Adventures of an Incurable Optimist by Michael J. Fox (focusing on his life with Parkinson's rather that whole life in general) VERY GOOD

House Rules by Jodi Picoult very intriguing

I mainly read medical fiction and forensic kind of stuff though... Patricia Cornwell, Kathy Reichs, Robin Cook, Tess Gerritsen... waiting for them to come out with some new stuff since I have already gone through all of them, most at least twice...

So... if anyone has any other ideas of similar authors to these listed above, please PM me... I'm always looking for new authors.

12. Diana

Diana Approved members

It is not fiction but have you read Stiff? It is a really, good interesting book about what happens to bodies donated to science.

13. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I have read that... I found it quite informative and entertaining with the style of writing. I have read just about every medical book I can find at Borders and Barnes and Noble... Atul Gawande, Emergency Medicine stories, Disease histories, etc.

I'm a medical nerd to the extreme.... LOL

14. sooz

sooz Approved members

I started reading it, but I too just couldnt get into it and put it aside to go on to the next one. I was really disappointed because it seemed so interesting when I read the reviews. I plan to finish it someday but Im on to better things. I totally agree with you!

15. Marcia

Marcia Approved members

I just finished Breakthrough-the Story of Elizabeth Hughes and now I am working on 10 Degrees of Reckoning. I gravitate more toward nonfiction. Anything by Mark Twain, especially his short stories.

16. momandwifeoftype1s

momandwifeoftype1s Approved members

I like historical fiction, and I'm currently reading "Flower Net" by Lisa See in hard copy and "Saving Fish from Drowning" by Amy Tan on audio book. Anchee Min is another favorite author. There are so many good books out there to read - it's hard to pick. Elizabeth Berg is my very favorite author though. Happy reading!

17. Jacob'sDad

Jacob'sDad Approved members

The last two books are just ones I grabbed at the grocery store.

Right now I am reading "Ford County" by John Grisham which seems pretty good so far.

Prior to that it was "Run For Your Life" by James Patterson. I didn't like it. I thought it was pretty thin and boring.

Before that, I read "For Us, The Living" by Robert A. Heinlein which was his long lost first novel. It had some interesting themes and ideas of what shape American society might take 100 years in the future.

18. Mom2rh

Mom2rh Approved members

The Help...very good!

The Hunger Games Trilogy...Hunger Games, Catching Fire and the newly released Mockingjay. These are YA lit...in fact Ryan read them first and passed them on to me. Very good! Futuristic. Suspenseful.

I agree that the Outlander series is really good too...I might need to revisit them.

19. virgo39

virgo39 Approved members

The new Carl Hiaasen, Star Island.

Nursery Crimes.

20. Daniel's Mom 1993

Daniel's Mom 1993 Approved members

I will let know when I finish, I just started Part 2 of the CD set, so only 20 more CDs:DI would finish faster if I would get my butt on the treadmill - I like to listen while I walk but here lately only been listening in the car. I too Love Love Love this series - I have listened to it twice I think, whenever I cannot find anything else it is a good stand by - I am seriously considering buying the whole set.