- advertisement -

Reading anything good???

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Sarah Maddie's Mom, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

I got nothing.

"Man in the Woods" looks promising. But I refuse to read Frazen's "Freedom" ... maybe just because Oprah likes it :p Loved Mantel's, "Wolf Hall" but need a few new books.

Any readers out there??

2. chammond

chammond Approved members

I just finished "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle", and it was good, but kind of different. I think it was a book that I liked but didn't like at the same time, if that makes any sense.:rolleyes:

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Curious reviews, and yes, I'm a dog gal :p I'll have a look for it. Thanks:cwds:

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Books......Books.....hmmm...that word sounds SO familiar...just can't place it....nevermind, I will just Google it on my iPad... ;)

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Braille Literacy :D ok, I'm not really reading most of it, but I do read the lessons after I've listened and practiced to make sure I'm understanding them:rolleyes:

6. Diana

Diana Approved members

I totally agree with this.

I have heard South of Broad is really good.

Mennonite in a Little Black Dress
    Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
    The Help
    These is My Words
    Same Kind of Different as Me
    Half-Broke Horses
    When Broken Glass Floats
    The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series

If you are a dog gal, I thought Walking in Circles Before Lying Down was hilarious. Same author also wrote Nose Down, Eyes Up which I also enjoyed but not as much.

I read alot - fiction and non-fiction :rolleyes:

7. buggle

buggle Approved members

I haven't had time to read very much during the last several years. But, there's one book I think you might like, Sarah. It was out-of-print, but they seem to be printing it again! It's been over 10 years since I read it, but I loved it back then.

http://www.amazon.com/Turnip-Blues-...r_1_2?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285219521&sr=8-2

Have you read "Middlesex?" It took me a while to warm up to it, but I thought it was pretty good.

I'm sure you've read two of my favorite books -- both Vonnegut. I love "Hocus Pocus" and I completely, completely love "Bluebeard."

Have you read "Cryptonomicon" by Neal Stephenson? Some friends bought it for me (something I likely wouldn't have bought myself) and I really liked it.

8. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

I'm reading 'easy' stuff at the moment... Susan Elizabeth Phillips, Katie fForde etc
    I LOVE Juliet Marillier http://www.julietmarillier.com/
    I am wanting to read "These Is My Words: The Diary of Sarah Agnes Prine, 1881-1901: Arizona Territories" by Nancy E Turner, after reading great reviews :cwds:

9. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

I admit, I am reading total trash :eek:. While in the states I bought a Kindle for myself and downloaded all the freebies I could find (and there's a reason why they are free :rolleyes:), most are not terrible but they're not great either. I also downloaded a lot of free "classics," so after I finish the brainless trash, I'll move into those. :D

10. sooz

sooz Approved members

I echo a vote for The Help and Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. Without a doubt, they are the two best books that I have read this year. Right now I just started reading Cutting for Stone which was highly recommended. The Lonely Polygamist is also in my Kindle waiting to be read.

11. GinaB

GinaB Approved members

I downloaded a bunch of free books on my iPad. Right now I'm reading Sense and Sensability. I just bought Mini Shopaholic from Amazon. I'm a sucker for ChickLit.

12. lauraqofu

lauraqofu Approved members

I'm breathlessly awaiting The Red Queen, and just finished The White Queen. I'm a history buff, and read a lot of nonfiction, but I'm a sucker for Philippa Gregory, even though I know how inaccurate it is...

I'm also in school at the moment, so I need a break from the heavy stuff from time to time.

13. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Oh gee! I am currently reading the "novel" by an well-endowed Hollywood "star".:eek:

14. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

I love reading! We go to the library at least twice a week. Right now i'm reading a book called "Eyes at the window" by Evie Yoder Miller. It's an ok read. It's about an amish baby that's murdered. She's killed in the beginning of the book but you have to read the 500 pages to find out who the murderer is. I'm on page 441, so tempted to scan ahead to see who killed the baby. The book also spans a period of 50 years, so kind of confusing keeping up with who is who.

15. Yellow Tulip

Yellow Tulip Approved members

Definitely The Help. Also, Mudbound by Hillary Jordan. Hotel on the corner of Bitter and Sweet is another good one. And then there are a couple of my favorites: Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth and World without End.

16. Sarah Maddie's Mom

How terrific to wake up to so many suggestions! Thanks!

Off to google titles! :D

17. danismom79

danismom79 Approved members

I've been stumped lately too. The last good one I read was "A Thousand Splendid Suns" by Khaled Hosseini.

18. colebenmom

colebenmom Approved members

19. Kaylee's Mom

Kaylee's Mom Approved members

I am almost done with The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo .. it started slow but after about 60 pages it gets really good. The next two books are even better I have been told.

Crystal

20. Marie4Julia

Marie4Julia Approved members

I can understand that. I was about 150 pages into Freedom when Oprah announced that it was her next book club book. For what it's worth, I'm really enjoying it.

This is Where I Leave You, by Jonathan Tropper was a good read as well.