- advertisement -

Ray Allen and T1d at Celtics 1/2 show...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Beach bum, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Check out your local ABC station...

Watch the Celtics half time feature with Ray Allen and his family

Type:Causes -
    Network:Global
    Date:Friday, December 25, 2009
    Time:3:00pm - 4:30pm

Description

Celtics Champion and Joslin trustee Ray Allen and his family will be featured on the nationally televised NBA basketball game between the Boston Celtics and Orlando Magic on Christmas Day. The game begins at 2:30pm EST.

The half-time feature will chronicle the daily challenges families face and overcome when dealing with diabetes. We?re particularly grateful to the NBA and ABC for airing this segment on the day of the largest viewing audience of any NBA game of the year. Ten million viewers are expected world-wide and that?s more than double the amount of those who will watch the NBA Finals.

Since their son Walker was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes during the 2007 NBA Finals, Ray and Shannon Allen have been relentless in their efforts to build philanthropy and awareness around this disease.

2. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Thats awesome:) Ray has really been doing alot to spread awareness and raise funds for JDRF. He got his start playing ball for the world champion basketball team, The UCONN Huskies!!!

3. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

If anyone sees this on youtube afterward, please let me know. I will be in transit at that time. Dang winter weather.

4. liasmommy2000

liasmommy2000 Approved members

Wow, that's so awesome! So sad that their little boy has to go through this too, but really thankful for their efforts to make others aware of this disease and the need for a cure. :cwds:

5. jetsmom

jetsmom Approved members

I am happy that Ray Allen told his story, but I had hoped for more...oh well, happy holidays.

6. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

We watched it. That munchin is such a cutie. But I think the angle that the media told was odd. They played it more like "See every thing Ray Allen has to overcome." DH and I wished they'd have put up the JDRF website or warning signs or something.

Could have been done better, but anything that gets the word out is a step in the right direction.

7. BrokenPancreas

BrokenPancreas Banned

8. allisa

allisa Approved members

My brothers were watching it yesterday....and I happened to walk in the room.....it had just started & they hadn't said yet what was wrong with the little boy....& my brothers were all wathcing it intently...looking concerned and riveted....I said "what are you watching ?"....they said "something is wrong with Ray Allen's son"....I was like...."Oh yeah....he has Diabetes.....just like Ty".....I think they forget most times !!

I think it helped to spread awareness....even in my own family !!

9. Mom211

Mom211 Approved members

I agree, I think they could have explained what type 1 is -what the symptoms are, etc.