- advertisement -

Random Highs at Night

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Andy'sMom, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Andy'sMom

Andy'sMom Approved members

Hey everyone - I'd like to get your opinions on how you deal with random (but persistent) highs at night. Andy is MDI, on Lantus (bedtime shot) and Novolog. I would say 4 nights a week, he wakes up 100+ points higher than his middle of the night check. HOWEVER, sometimes he goes up and then comes back down to the blood sugar reading as of about 11:00 pm. And sometimes he stays exactly the same all during the night. So far, we cannot find a specific pattern so we have been unwilling to increase his Lantus. If he is over 250 at 3:00 am, we will then correct (and of course, retest because although his night correction dose is less than half the daytime correction, he is sensitive to the Novolog at night and we worry about lows), but otherwise, we wait it out, which means he wakes up high a lot. I find this extemely frustrating and I think if we could get the night numbers more consistent, then we could improve his overall control/A1C. Endo suggested we consider a CGM to better monitor the trends and then re-evaluate how to approach this problem. Andy's 9 years old and I'm wondering if this trend is ue to growth hormones? We would expect some fluctuations based on food consumption on any particular night, but he eats pretty much the same things so we haven't been able to tie the high numbers to any particular foods. Any thoughts on this (especially if you've been through this yourself) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. nebby3

nebby3 Approved members

Is there any correlation to how much exercise he had gotten? We often see the effects of it hours later. Maybe when he exercises , he comes down on his own but other nights he doesn't??

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

We've had a very good experience with the G4. For a long dx'd kid starting puberty I'd think it could be an enormous help. ;)

Have you had a chance to see the whole set up? It's really quite unobtrusive.

4. Lexie251

Lexie251 Approved members

First I want to say we r only a year at this and I have a girl who is only 7. So with that said from time to time she will run high through the night to the point where I was ready to increase her lantus, but when I would she would go low through the night. I believe that when she spikes like that it is her growth hormones. It takes about 4 or 5 days to level out. I am unsure why they recomend lantus at bed time, but when we tried doing that she would run high. It seems like lantus at dinner works better for us. Also they dont let me correct her yet at 2am when I check her??? I am not sure why. Cause a few times she has been like 300. Like I said earlier they even told me night time highs can be from growth hormones. She grew over an inch in 4 months I was so excited. Now if I could get some weight on her!!! That lantus can be really tricky, sonetines it seems like it's a little much and other times its not enough.