- advertisement -

Ran into one of 'those' people today...

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Danielle2008, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Thought you guys would enjoy this...

Apparently, my Dad has mentioned to a few of our employees that I have Diabetes (...Thanks father dearest....). I had no idea until now.

I was walking out of the office when one of our older employees asks, "are you well controlled?"

Yes, just that random. I had to ask her what she meant as I had absolutely no idea what the heck she was talking about. When she said "Diabetes", I thought to myself....here we go again.

We had a short conversation, I tried to end it quick. She went on about radio ads and chiropractors curing Diabetes. As well as her Diabetic friend, and all her health issues (I won't bore you with the repeats of what people say).

What really made this conversation interesting was her very last question to me.

"How are your Kidneys?"

Well, Kidneys are fine, Thank You. In fact, I think they are having Brunch with Liver today :rolleyes:

I have been asked all sorts of interesting questions over the last 2 1/2 years.

However, the "how are my Kidneys" takes the cake.

At least, until the next person comes around to offer their insight;)

2. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Chiropractors? So a few adjustments will mean no more finger pokes and injections? Awesome! I wish she would have told you sooner. She could have saved us all alot of time, money, and grief. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

Sheesh, I see one Bi Weekly, still not cured, better ask him what he's doing wrong when I see him on Thursday ;)

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Ugh. No matter if it's an educating opportunity and if people mean well, it can be be very annoying.

Perhaps a simple "My kidneys are shaped like beans. And yours?" would have sufficed?:D

Reminds me of the crazy school mom who still hasn't got it that no, my son is not on dialysis and no, we're not moving to Finland (long story).:rolleyes:

5. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

That would want to make me say, " I don't know I haven't asked them today." Then I would look down and say, "Hey kidneys how are you two doing today?" Kidneys, "We are fine, how about you."

6. NomadIvy

NomadIvy Approved members

TOO MUCH!!!
    Still...
    y'all crack me up.

7. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

Sounds to me like you are very, very well controlled.
    A person without good control would either have thrown a giggle fit or a punch at that!

8. Noel

Noel Approved members

Danielle, not exactly the same thing but....

My oldest son has a kidney disease, but not Type 1....he has been asked several times, "How's your sugar???" He just says, "Ask my mom" because he knows they are going to get an earful from me!

Not sure why people ask him that but.....then again....not sure why they asked you that either!! Crazy!!!

9. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

It's tempting to make a habit of asking her, at each encounter, "How's your larynx?", or, "how are your ovaries doing?", or maybe, "Is your large intestine having a good day?" :rolleyes: Oy.

10. Becky Stevens mom

Becky Stevens mom Approved members

Are you well controlled Danielle?:p I can not stop laughing when I think of someone asking you that!!!! What could your answer possibly be? "Um, I try to keep myself well controlled, if I dont they wont let me out of the cage that day!:eek: I dont think this person is "very well controlled" I see a T-shirt idea in that:cool:

11. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

one sunday I skipped church because I had a really bad night d wise. the lady said "Oh I'm sorry its bad again" my mom laughed and said "you mean was good at one point?" :Dlol sorry she was so weird:rolleyes:

12. maryellen816

maryellen816 Approved members

Ha! My daughter's chiropractor HAS Type 1 himself!

This woman was just full of misinformation. Probably if you had stayed longer she would have hit the "too bad you ate so much sugar when you were younger" topic.

13. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

It's a shame chiropractors don't qualify as "real doctors". I really want to say "physician heal thy self". :D

14. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

"My kidneys are fine. How's your brain?"

15. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Ha, well not all of them are quacks who believe that they can heal EVERYTHING with a few adjustments...

I always hate when I get the odd and surprisingly probing questions. I wouldn't mind if another T1 asked me how I am doing after 10 years, but to get odd questions from someone who barely knows me and doesn't understand the disease, just rubs me the wrong way...

16. joy orz

joy orz Approved members

Ha ha ha, this thread has got me giggling.

Love the brunch idea. :p

17. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

You all made my day. I haven't been able to respond until now, and the responses had me laughing out loud!!!

That must be it! Our pancreas just needed an adjustment! Miracle treatment!!

Please do....he must be keeping it a secret to keep you coming back;):p

I don't think I want to dear ask what exactly happened with THAT conversation LOL.

But...Really....You're not moving to Finland?!;)

I very much wanted to say that to her. Although, I don't think she would have 'got it'! Probably would have thought I am diabetic, and nuts....actually, she would have right on both counts!

Actually, Cami, hearing that people ask Austin that aggravates me much more then this situation. I can't believe they would seriously suggest his situation is in any way related to something he may have done:mad:.

Sigh...People drive me absolutely nuts sometimes. I do believe common sense no longer exists. People simply do not think before they construct these ridiculous comments and questions.

Oh I know!

I have to be honest...I am obviously 20, but I do still have a close relationship with my Mom. So I do pass along these stories. I told her all about it when it happened, and my Mom was just fuming. She ran into her today when we had to have photos done for some coupon magazine. My mom looks at me after she met her and realized it was the same lady, and goes "are you well controlled Danielle?"

I think it took everything for my Mom not to say something. I looked at her, and mouthed...please don't.

LMAO...that totally reminds me. At my old job we would joke with each other and say things like, "who took your muzzle off today?" etc....very friendly teasing, no harm done.

Now THAT would have been a good response to this lady LOL. "Uh, did you forget your muzzle today?":D

I'm so sorry...you have the "bad" type right?;)

That's exactly why I tried to end the conversation quickly! Thank goodness she had to go do some work in the middle of the conversation. Forced it to end, and I never tried to bring it up again!!

Love it!

I am absolutely the same way. I don't mind talking about my Diabetes to people who I feel will listen and be receptive(obviously, other understanding T1 would fall into that area). I don't like when people just start probing for questions without me initiating it.

Joy, Liver and Kidney would love to dine with another buddy. Would Ava's pancreas like to stop in? We all know Pancreas is a slacker naturally, so I am sure no one would miss him while he takes yet another...24/7/365 lunch break.

18. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

19. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

I was on another Diabetes Message board and this person was told they had ketones because they ate too much ice and another was told if they didn't use insulin they wouldn't have diabetes. I agree sometimes it helps to laugh at the stupid things people say. Last week, a person said, "If you would eat like your brother you would not have diabetes." What is so funny is that this person doesn't even know my brother and what makes it funnier is my brother was just diagnosed with a BG of 500. Of course I didn't say anything as why ruin a good thing. It would have done me no good to argue with this person.

20. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members