- advertisement -

Radio Shack Mic revisited - can't find answer to my question!

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kimmcannally, Nov 10, 2010.

1. kimmcannally

kimmcannally Approved members

Sorry for bringing up the Radio Shack wireless mic yet again, but my eyes are so tired and I just can't find what I'm looking for! We got the mic system and an adapter to plug a pair of computer speakers into it. Trouble is, it still isn't really loud enough - we sleep with a loud fan at night and DH won't give that up. So I'm looking for an amplifier to boost the sound. (I've tried two types of speakers and neither is loud enough)

I don't really want the radio shack mini amp unless I can also get a power adapter for it so I don't run through the batteries like crazy. I can't find an adapter on their site. I did find this amp on amazon that looks really good, but does anyone know if it will work with this system and a set of powered computer speakers?

http://www.amazon.com/PCA1-15-Watt-Stereo-Power-Amplifier/dp/B0012KZNP4/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

2. Mom264

Mom264 Approved members

Not sure at all about the product on the link. Sorry. But I can tell you that the speakers we use have there own power source. (They have to be plugged into an outlet.)

Are the coputer speakers you are using the kind that use the computer for power? Perhaps that is the problem. Just a thought.

3. kimmcannally

They are the type you plug into the wall. That's why I was surprised I couldn't hear it well - it's just that loud fan. :(
    I did move the speakers down from the shelf I have them on to head level (when I'm in bed) and I think that will do the trick ;)

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I am not sure but I think I read on here that someone puts whatever is emitting the sound in a glass container. Maybe I'm dreaming - something about the vibrations (is there a vibration feature on the Dex?) being louder in the glass?

5. timsma

timsma Approved members

Instead of that mic system, we bought a small portable karaoke machine for our son. He puts his dexcom receiver under the microphone and it comes out the karaoke machine. It's plenty loud. Got it at Best Buy for about 35 bucks.

6. kimmcannally

Yea, I'd love to do that and have DS do self-care at night, but he would just wake me up and then he would be up the rest of the night.

I'm going to try putting it in a bowl of beads tonight and see how that works.

7. MReinhardt

MReinhardt Approved members

8. kimmcannally

How much is the power cord? My local radio shack couldn't find the amp in stock, but I see on their website it is, so I may try again today.