- advertisement -

Quotes about living with diabetes?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by cockatiel, Jul 15, 2011.

1. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

I would love some quotes about diabetes, living with diabetes, courage, etc.

When I google this, mostly I come up with medical quotes, and I am interested in quotes relating to the experience of having diabetes, not the medical end of things.

Are there any quotes that sum up for you the experience of living with diabetes? Are there any quotes that help you or your kid get up in the morning and face this business of pretending to be a pancreas?

Thanks!

2. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

Saw this on Twitter this morning and loved it:

"No matter what the meter reads. You ROCK! Don't let diabetes steal your joy."

This is a good thread. I hope others chime in....we should print out the quotes to read on stinky days.

3. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

"And He (God) answered, My grace is suficiant, my power perfected in weakness" II Corinthians 12:9

"God will keep me alive, or let me die, either way I'm with Him" (sorry that ones a bit sad) - Me=)

I have acouple songs I have found that keep me going to, my favorite one right now is "It's on" by Super Chic(k)

4. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

This is not a quote but part of a song I love (in German - "Dieser Weg" by Xavier Naidoo): It's a translation.

This path will not be an easy
    This path is rocky and difficult
    You won't agree with many
    But this life offers so much more

Some kick you
    Some people love you
    Some bless you
    Sit not your sails,
    When the wind shakes up the sea

It's not about diabetes, but it somehow hits me deeply. It's a beautiful song, if anyone is interested in youtubing (new verb, lol) it.

5. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

One of my favorites...the last couple of lines from "Unwritten" by Natasha Beddingfield.

Drench yourself in words unspoken
    Live your life with arms wide open
    Today is where your book begins
    The rest is still unwritten.

Diabetes does not define our kids...they create their own definitions of who they are!

6. zakksmom

zakksmom Approved members

Wanna carb free knuckle samich?

7. kgerrick

kgerrick Approved members

A dear friend of mine said to me "God has brought you to it and he will bring you through it." When she found out about Caitlin's diagnosis. It has stuck with me ever since.

Another think i read somewhere was to Thank the Lord everyday for your problems! It could be so much worse. So everytime I am struggling with this thing I take a minute to thank Him.

Kristen

8. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

"There is only one acceptable response to give your child when he/she tells you blood glucose is high, 'thank you for checking'. Then you work together to get it back towards target." Dr. Richard Rubin

Adolescents don't have to rebel about the diabetes in an excessive way. They can be empowered to feel good about their efforts. EHU

Never threaten a trip to the hospital. Children have to feel safe going there when need be. EHU

Find humor and use it often surrounding the diabetes. EHU

Notice and acknowledge your child's efforts. Specific positive reinforcement goes a long way. EHU

9. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

?It does not do to leave a live dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him. ~J.R.R. Tolkein

10. Tracy1918

Tracy1918 Approved members

"There are no bad numbers. They're all good because they tell you what to do next."

Someone wrote that once and it was truly life-changing for me.

11. cockatiel

cockatiel Approved members

Thank you all!

All of these quotes are helpful, and some are really inspiring!

12. Illinifan

Illinifan Approved members

Mine, which I have been told that other people have adapted for their use:

"Zach's diabetes is the least interesting thing about him."

13. kjmaf

kjmaf Approved members

My 5 year-old told me one day that "I'm not sad I have diabetes because it means that I'm alive."

Of course, she has days where she hates it. But anytime I am having a tough day dealing with her diabetes, I remember that quote and it helps put it all back into perspective.

14. Lisa P.

Lisa P. Approved members

I've used this one, and there's a JacobsDad one too and I can't remember it! Maybe someone here can.

It's not diabetes, but I took it, the Soul Surfer quote when the doctor first talks to her in the hospital and says, "The list of things you will have to learn to do differently is extensive, but the list of things you can't do any more is very, very small."

Or something like that!

15. obtainedmist

obtainedmist Approved members

Love this...and I remember it from the book! :)

16. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

"Diabetes is one club you didn't choose to join but it is the club with the nicest people!" (unknown)

Thanks to all of you for all your help.

17. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My DD's favorite quote is "Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass, it's learning to dance in the rain."