- advertisement -

Quicksets without quickserter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by quiltinmom, Jul 1, 2011.

1. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We've only been pumping for about two months, and DS already lost the quick-serter. :rolleyes: Is it hard to do an insertion without it? Being so new to pumping I'm a little concerned. We had one bad site early on, when it went in crooked (DS didn't push both buttons at the same time) and I don't want to repeat that experience with a manual insertion. Any advice?

Thanks!

2. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Manual insertion is very easy. Just push the needle in, and then pull it back out again. I got fewer kinks with manual insertions (although still enough that I had to give up the quick-sets, so my advice may not be the greatest :p).

3. bisous

bisous Approved members

Man, I ALWAYS kink when we don't use the Serter. However, I've heard others like the PP that have better luck.

Good luck. Quicksets really didn't work for us at all!

4. clb1968

clb1968 Approved members

I have inserted manually with no problem before, but I use the serter most of the time . I have an extra if you would like it, PM me your address and I can mail out after the holiday.

5. bibrahim

bibrahim Approved members

we have only done a few free hand. They worked ok. I prefer the quick serter so we bought two extra for back up after misplacing the first one. One thing we learned was that we need to clean or at least check for stickiness on the inside of the serter. It it is sticky the set sticks and sometimes kinks too.

6. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

It is very easy when you insert it into yourself manually. He does it here manually http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYGLXKO1xik&feature=related

you have to go to the 8 min. mark to see it and it is not a close up

This is basically the same concept in terms of insertion (but it is not a quick set) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bsp6YUxAg8s&feature=related

The difference is you have to remove the needle following insertion for the quick set

Last edited: Jul 2, 2011
  7. cm4kelly

cm4kelly Approved members

What about the Mio?

When my son was first diagnosed, we used the quick sets because my husband used them, and I didn't like manual insertion.

The inserter was easy to misplace and not portable.

You might consider for your next supply order the Mio. It works in a similar fashion, but the inserter and tubing are all in one, and it is disposable - one time use, easy to transport. My son uses the blue Mios. Just an idea.

I don't have to worry about losing the inserter and I can take extra site change supplies in a backpack and leave out school without having to have inserters everywhere.

8. rericsimpson

rericsimpson Approved members

We've been inserting manually for a little over a month, and have had virtually no issues.