- advertisement -

quick update

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by emm142, Jul 21, 2013.

1. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Hi everyone,

Sorry I've been so absent recently. The past year has been incredibly difficult, due to mental health problems that I'm not totally comfortable discussing in depth on a public forum where I am so recognisable. I'm more than happy to talk about them by PM, though, so feel free to shoot one my way if you're curious or have any questions about MH problems alongside diabetes. I've been very closely monitored this year due to posing a serious risk to myself, and a lot of questions come up regarding diabetes management during periods of serious illness - in particular when self-management requires handling something which is potentially really harmful - and at which point in illness and particularly hospitalisation a person's self-management should be stopped.

I imagine having the perspective of someone who has 'been there' would be helpful for someone with a child/teenager in a similar situation, so just wanted to put myself forward as a possible contact. There is a lot of awareness around diabetes and mild/moderate depression, but far less about people with life-threatening MH problems just because illness of the severity that I have experienced is really unusual, and in conjunction with diabetes is even more so. So yeah, just putting myself out there. The fact that I'm even remotely ok enough to write a post here is a sign that I've come a long way, so I'm hoping at the moment that further recovery is possible and that things are on the up from here.

Bizarrely, given that the support staff at my university were telling me all year that I was too unwell to continue studying, I came out of the year with a first. I'm not sure it was deserved given how little work happened, and I did just scrape it, but I'm still really pleased. I have also switched from philosophy to a science degree - next year (the final year of my degree) I will be studying psychology and neuroscience. I did half philosophy and half psych/neuro this year and enjoyed the science side more, so I'm hoping that the switch is right for me and that I can get involved with some good research when my degree is over.

Diabetes-wise things are so-so - my last a1c was 8.9%, but I have been mostly suicidal and not rational so expecting good diabetes management would be unrealistic to say the least. I'm hoping that now I'm less ill and thinking more clearly I should be able to get down to below 8% by my Christmas appointment. :)

Hope all of my friends are doing well, and welcome to anybody who has joined since I was last here regularly. I hope to be posting more often!

2. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

I am so glad you are well. My prayers for further courage and well being are with you. My teen has struggled as well especially since she is the only one of three at her school who even tries. This year has been rough for her too. Please keep your focus ahead day by day I am sure you are going to find your way and shine brightly.

3. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

Oh goodness Emma, I'm sorry for your struggles. You have been such a light of goodness and logic here on this forum, you deserve to have goodness and more light in your own life. I hope that things truly are on the up from here. I'm glad you are surrounded by people who are helping you get through this.

It says a lot about your character that you wanted to share your story so others may benefit, I'm glad you checked in and let us all know how things are going for you, I've wondered about you often.

I miss you around here! Continue to take care of yourself and hope you are able to post more often. Good luck in your studies, neuroscience wins in my world way over philosophy!

4. ChristineJ

ChristineJ Approved members

I'm glad to see you back, Emma, but sorry for the troubles you've been having. It's wonderful that you're willing to share some of that to help others. Mental health issues can be so isolating and carry an undeserved stigma that makes it so hard for people to get the support and understanding they deserve. I'm hoping things will continue to improve for you, and that we'll see you more frequently again! :)

Christine

5. Helenmomofsporty13yearold

Helenmomofsporty13yearold Approved members

Thanks for sharing, Emma, and thanks for getting better. The psychological side of D deserves much more attention than it gets and it is beyond amazing that you are going to be here to help others. Don't feel guilty about the A1C. I think it is a darn good number considering what you have been dealing with.

6. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Emma, thank you for sharing something so personal. My continued good thoughts for you and I hope things continue to improve. It sounds like you have a good support staff, which sadly with MH issues here people don't always have.

Sending positive thoughts your way.

7. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

Hi Emma, thank you for checking in. We've been wondering about you.:cwds: I'm really sorry for all you're dealing with. If you need any support, you know where we are.:cwds: I wish you the best and am sending you strength.

8. Turtle1605

Turtle1605 Approved members

I'm so glad you're back on the forum! You have provided excellent, excellent advice!

9. caspi

caspi Approved members

Hi Emma. Thanks for letting us know how you're doing. All of your D-Moms (and Dads ;) ) here have been thinking about you! It sounds like you've got a great support team behind you. Continue to take care of yourself and know we're all here for you! :cwds:

10. Williamsville mommy

Williamsville mommy Approved members

Emma
    So glad to have you back. I have missed your helpful insight. Please know we are all praying for you and your continuing health. I have a family member dealing with MH issues, so I feel your pain. It is real and it hurts. Stay strong, keep positive , and know there are so many people who care about you. Best wishes ever for good health

11. Mimi

Mimi Approved members

Hi Emma.
    Good to hear from you but tough to read that you've been struggling. Thankfully you have good support.

Well wishes to you, continue to take one step at at time.

12. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

Emma, thanks for letting us know how you are. Please try to think of us when you have a spare moment (which, looking at your planned course of study, I expect will be rare).

You are a love for thinking of the possibility of helping others, when you've been in a bad way yourself.

I echo all the support and concern that's been put out there. Please take good care.

13. sooz

sooz Approved members

Emma, I think of you often and am glad to see you post. Keep us posted. We care! Hang in there!

14. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Thanks for checking in but sorry to hear about your struggles. Hang in there. :cwds:

15. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

Emma
    I have always appreciated your insightful D posts. Thank you for sharing your struggles. It is a huge step to do so! Please continue to take care of yourself and follow your dreams. :cwds:

16. Mish

Mish Approved members

Emma, I am so glad you popped in to let us know how you were doing. I'm so sorry that you've struggled so much but happy that you're getting help and doing better. And it's great of you to want to help others! You're a true gem.

Don't worry about the a1c. It will get back to where it needs to be. Your mental health comes first.

17. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Thanks to everyone who replied either in here or by pm, which I will hopefully manage to reply to soon. I've had very little support from the university (mostly just them telling me I should leave, lol) or family, but thankfully I have an awesome therapist who's letting me see her at hugely discounted rates. I definitely wouldn't be where I am now without that.

Not been doing so well for the past few days and hospital is being considered again, so failing to be around here again. But I'll hopefully manage to get something else in place (might stay with a friend who is more helpful than family) and avoid hospital. Hope you're all doing ok and I'll try to post more and reply to pms when I can.

18. Lenoremm

Lenoremm Approved members

I have been thinking of you so much in the last few weeks. I have been so impressed with you since joining this board but especially since you have shared this in the last few weeks. Please seek the help were you find it the most helpful. You deserve it. You remain in my prayers.
    L:cwds:

19. minniem

minniem Approved members

I've always enjoyed reading your posts. I hope you are doing okay. I'm sending positive thoughts your way. Take care.:cwds:

20. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Approved members

I think you have so much to be proud of with all your academic success. Congratulations. I hope things stabilize for you soon and you can find a combination of counselling and meds that work for you.