- advertisement -

Quick question: low battery on dexcom transmitter

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by kail, Mar 18, 2016.

1. kail

kail Approved members

In the midst of a night from hell, her dexcom receiver popped up with the message that the transmitter battery was low. Thank goodness I finally got a new one delivered to me about a week ago (G4). My question is how much warning it gives you before it needs to be replaced. I didn't realize I would get any warning so I am pleased that it didn't just stop working but it wasn't the right time to pull out her transmitter and pop a new one in. I want to be sure she will be ok at school today and it won't go dead that quickly

2. Lakeman

Lakeman Approved members

I think it gives a week or two and I thought it would tell you how much time you have left.

3. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

Based on what I have seen/read its all over the map with a g4. A few hours to a few weeks. Ours died within a day.

4. kail

kail Approved members

If it told me then I missed it. I think I slept an hour last night and it popped up some time during that hour and I glanced at it and cleared the alert in a daze.
    I think it said: Low battery, order new transmitter.
    I was hoping it meant I had some time. I'd like to wait until the weekend and she'll be due for a change anyway. we have had scary lows in the past 24 hours though so I dont want to wait if it might die in hours. Well, she is at school now so I hope it lasts until tonight at least.

5. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

If memory serves (because we have been using the G5 since shortly after its release), the life remaining in a G4 transmitter after receiving the impending death notice can vary quite a little bit. I always ordered a new transmitter as soon as we hit the 6[?]-month mark so we always had a back-up. The G4 does not tell you how much time is remaining. The G5 does, however, and we squeeze every last minute out of it while it is circling the drain.

6. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

We've gotten this message twice. I think once it gave us just over 48 hours and the other time we got the new transmitter before the old one died and switched it out.

7. dpr

dpr Approved members

Ours went 13 days and died yesterday at 4am. I had to borrow one from a friend who had an extra new one. We're still waiting on a new one after 6 calls to Dexcom which is a whole nuther' story. I'll start a new post about it tomorrow after whatever they tell me after my 7th call to them them tomorrow. Let's just say their service had been excellent until now, but when they drop the ball they kick it all the way out of the park...

8. Robert Marsh

Robert Marsh New Member

I'm a new G5 user and my transmitter is about 2 month old. I know about the 14 days warning, but can anyone tell me what will happen after the 14 days are up? Maybe a better way of saying it, what will I see, hear on the receiver when the transmitter officially dies? For example, when I look under transmitter info in mine now I see Trans Serial Number, Activated on date, Transmitter Batter Ok, etc. I'd hate to hear a loud beep if I'm at a work meeting.

Thanks all for any guidance you can provide.
    Rob

9. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

We recently finished our first transmitter. (It lasted almost 13 months!!!) I don't remember exactly how many days he got the low battery warnings, but it was over a week, maybe 2. He got low batt warnings every day but he just cleared them and kept using it until it completely died.

Fwiw, he just popped the old one out and popped the new one in using the same sensor. Worked just fine.

Yddmv (your diabetes device may vary) though! Good luck getting through the day. :)

10. Sprocket

Sprocket Approved members

I am hoping it gives us a decent amount of warning time. We were advised not to pre-order and have a transmitter ahead of time because the warranty starts when you buy it. We pay out of pocket, so that warranty period is important to us. This transmitter and receiver are 11 months old, so it's getting elderly.

11. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Our G4 went fairly quickly. What I imagined happened was that it alarmed during night, my daughter disregarded. So, it died at school. Daughter texted me and just said that she was "going old school." Meaning, testing more. I like having the data, my daughter went ahead and just ripped the sight off and announced she was taking a few days off from the Dex :p Now my other daughters alarmed and then kept going for about 3-4 days after.

The G5 kindly tells you how many days it still has on this earth before going kaput.

12. samson

samson Approved members

I can't remember fully. But I think there is maybe a one-week warning and a 48-hour warning and then more warnings the day of.

13. lilwitte

lilwitte Approved members

My G5 transmitter just died earlier today. I got a 3 week warning, 2 week warning and 1 week warning. I got an alert this morning stating there was 6 hours remaining on the transmitter. Once it died my phone said start new transmitter instead of start new sensor. It gave a loud beep once it officially died but once I cleared the alert it did not alert again.