- advertisement -

Quick discussion with our MM Rep

Discussion in 'Continuous Glucose Sensing' started by bradclark, Feb 6, 2011.

1. PatriciaMidwest

PatriciaMidwest Approved members

It is aggravating. I think you are right that these companies aren't willing to release a new pump until they HAVE to due to competition or their own 4 year pump warranty cycle.

I think MM will strategically plan to have a new pump released around Oct, 2013 (6 months before the first Revel warranties start to expire). Worst case is if things keep getting postponed, it will be the Veo or the Revel algorithym upgrade that comes out in Fall of 2013. All speculation on my part and I hope I am wrong. Even though I'm not with MM right now, the more products the better for all of us.

The other thing that ticks me off is how these companies (all of them) tease us with new products and lead us to believe that everything is complete on their end but the delays are due to the FDA. I don't think this is always the full story (I'm no fan of the FDA, don't get me wrong). What date was the smaller Omnipod, the Enlite and the Veo actually submitted to the FDA? The FDA keeps all PMA filings confidential until an approval or denial is granted, so we have no way of knowing. There is no accountability from either the FDA or the device company as to where they really are in the process.

And Hermsman, thank you for keeping us up to date, even when it isn't the best news.

2. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

I just found out the size of the Enlite needle its 10.5mm and 27G. That is an improvement from 13mm and 21G but still I was expecting more.. The existing needle for Dex is 13mm and 26G and Nav is 6mm and 21G

3. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

I'm thinking that 10.5mm is kind of a long needle to be inserted straight in. :(

4. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

From the March issue of diatribe:

"The key highlights of the Enlite CGM sensor include a much smaller (10.5 mm) and thinner (27-gauge at its thinnest point) needle, no sight of the needle during insertion, a 90-degree insertion, and a much better inserter design (smaller and much less intimidating). This CGM sensor may be a particularly improved option for children, due to the smaller needle and the 90-degree insertion."

5. hawkeyegirl

Oh, I wasn't doubting you. I read the article too. I'm just kind of...underwhelmed at the reduced size of the needle. Still sounds big to me. Especially going straight in.

6. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

hmm that's only just over a centimeter -insulin needles are about 8mm .. (though much thinner gauge at 31)
    27 gauge is going to seem REALLY skinny.

7. hawkeyegirl

I guess I was thinking it would be Nav size, which is really tiny length-wise. (I think - why is 5mm stuck in my brain?)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  8. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

yeah, I know. I was too (it says above nav is 6mm and 21 gauge)

9. hawkeyegirl

It'll be an improvement. I think I'm just pissy with MM right now.

10. katerinas

katerinas Approved members

We use the 4mm pen needles so 10.5mm seems pretty long!

11. Melissata

Melissata Approved members

I am thinking that that longer length may be a good thing, because there were times when the tape loosened a bit and the Navigator sensor would be out of the skin, or in and out before you finally figure out why your numbers are crazy. It has happened a few times to my son.

12. HERMSman

HERMSman Approved members

I have worn many of the Enlite sensors and they are MUCH less painful than Sofsense. Insertion is less painful and wear is much better. Most of the time I cannot even feel it.

13. emm142

emm142 Approved members

10.5mm does sound long for a straight in insertion. Only a bit shorter than 12mm needles, which I bruised really badly from when I was using them for insulin. I'm hoping that the gauge difference will have a big effect on the needle's painfulness.

14. Ali

Ali Approved members

I wonder if the 10.5 number includes some needle length that does not go into the skin. i.e. the actual length of needle penetrating may be quite a bit less? It sounds like it uses an insertion device. Just guessing as it seems long to me also. Ali

15. Ellen

Ellen Senior Member

(27-gauge at its thinnest point)

What about the rest of it? Is this just at the tip of the sensor used to pierce the skin?

16. bradclark

bradclark Approved members

I thought the same thing!

:D