- advertisement -

Questions

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by r'sister, Sep 28, 2008.

1. r'sister

r'sister Approved members

I am helping care for my brother who is disabled and unable to care for himself.

Food and counting carbs/calories isn't an issue that we can do anything about as he is on a continual feed g-tube.

He gets 30 units of Lantus at night. He gets Humulin-R twice a day (9/9) on a sliding scale.

I've been told that it is fine to draw the Lantus and then draw the 2 or 4 units of Humulin into the same syringe and give 1 injection. I've also been told that it isn't safe to do it that way, that we should use 2 different syringes and 2 different sites. Which is it?

His A1C has been 6.3, 6.1, and 6.1 over the past 6 months. Yet his daily numbers run between 100 and 200, mostly over 150.

2. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

People get different results when the Lantus is mixed with other insulins, but if you do it consistantly and don't leave them in the syringe long, it will probably be fine. Consistancy is the real big deal.
    I personally don't mix them because I know that changes the action of the Lantus and I don't need that extra variable, but if your brother takes the same dose every day, mixed with the same dose of Humalog, I don't see any problem.