- advertisement -

Questions about lancing device -and pods

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Arleigh9003, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Arleigh9003

Arleigh9003 Approved members

Im new to the group an thought id share our journey. My son was diagnosed September 8 2012. Worst Labor Day weekend ever!!! One day your at the beach hanging out and everything is fine, the very next your in the ICU because of some unknown virus.. Little did we know !!
    That day has forever changed my families lives. I thank god everyday that I brought him in to er .. Had I not been thinking Monday is a holiday and I'd rather not wait till Tuesday.. That Sunday would have been my 14 month old baby boys last..
    Everyday is a challenge , but we are getting through it together.
    I have a incredibly strong baby boy and he amazes me everyday. I'm so grateful he is here and every day after d day is a gift !!

We are using the animas ping. I've read some great things about the pod, does anyone have any advice on that ? Plus I am having some difficulties at nighttime checks that I can't see his tiny little finger tip and end up poking air and eventually waking him ! I've Tryed flashlight in my mouth lol
    Is there a lancing device with a light on it? Wouldn't that be wonderful if there is!

2. nanhsot

nanhsot Approved members

I use a tiny little booklight, but have you seen those little headlights that attach to a hat or even your eyeglasses, that would be a great option given the age of your child (I only need to prepare the lancet and insert strip, my teen does the poke/test).

We use animas as well, so no help there, sorry.

Welcome, glad you found this place!

3. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

No light on any lancing device that I know of, but the freestyle lite meter has a strip light that you could land a small plane with :p And you don't have to stick with the meter you were sent home with - the only issue is to get a prescription for the strip that go with your meter.

One other meter has a strip light, I just can't name it at the moment. I'm sure someone else will chime in on that.

4. JNBryant

JNBryant Approved members

The OneTouch Verio IQ that my son uses also has a strip light. It's bright enough to be able to do a BS check in complete darkness, but not too bright as to wake my son.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

The Verio IQ. Sadly, it doesn't use the blue OneTouch strips, nor is it compatible with the Ping pump (meaning we can't use it:( )

Everyone gets a chuckle out of me using these, but they were well worth the investment:D
    http://www.amazon.com/Reading-Glass...84&sr=8-1&keywords=reading+glasses+with+light

6. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

I just turned on the light for night time tests. My son never woke.

7. Anyelday

Anyelday Approved members

My husband holds a book light in his teeth. LOL

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

I have found finger lights like this at the local dollar store. They have a small velcro strap I have wrapped them around the lancer and or put one on one of my fingers. I have also attached them close by to the head the bed.

I have also heard good things about this stickon thumb light.

Those dream light pillows have come in "handy" too.

9. reaganrocks

reaganrocks Approved members

Hi, I am also new to this forum and really LOVE it. My DD is 7 and we are in the process of the saline trial of the OmniPod...so far we really love it. It is so easy to use and we can't wait until we get the real one. I am looking foward to see if it controls her blood sugar better than shots. We have not tried any other pumps...the pod is our first.

We will know more when we get to use actual insulin. Hope this helps!

10. 3kidlets

3kidlets Approved members

My daughter (11) wears the POD. She stared wearing it when she was 9. We love it. She is a very active athlete and we've had great results with it. Of course, she is older than your child, but I've heard of many toddlers wearing it. The new, smaller PODs are coming out....one of these days! :rolleyes:

We are in New Jersey too.

11. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

First I want to say I'm glad you found us, though sorry you had a reason to join.

Other than the freestyle lite, and onetouch verio, the Bayer contour usb also has a test strip light. However, you won't be landing small planes with the light on the USB. When my son was diagnosed I just put in an extra night light and moved the crib closer to the night light.

We use the ping so no real help with the pod.

12. maciasfamily

maciasfamily Approved members

Yeah the lighting is terrible on these things! The freestyle lite was the best, but we use the OmniPod and it's not very bright. Very hopeful the new PDM will have a brighter light.

For us, we've been using the OmniPod on our 3 yr old for about 6 months. LOVE it and can't wait for the smaller pods to come out. We love that it's tubeless and so many less 'parts' to worry about when changing them out.

13. Jaredsmom

Jaredsmom Approved members

The thumb lite that some one else mentioned will stick right to your ping remote we have one on ours we bought ours off of eBay but you can get them from amazon as well. It works perfectly for nighttime testing nice and bright and it is small enough I suppose you could put one on the end of the lancer.

14. Olivia'sDad

Olivia'sDad Approved members

This is what you want http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=14364820 .

Easily latches to anything handy. Our daughter still has rails on her bed so we just clip it to that, very flexible so i can put it right up to her finger.

Also in NJ here, and also diagnosed at 14 months (I have seen so many 14 month diagnosis posts that I have wondered about vaccine schedules triggering the onset of T1).

If you haven't already, look into the the Dexcomm G4. It has changed our lives.

15. brie

brie Approved members

We have had the pod since december and my 7 year old loves it. Sometimes we tell him to show someone and he can't remember where it is on his body!! But the transition from mdi to the pump has been hard and crazy his numbers have been consistently higher I am sure his A1C is going to be alot higher this next appointment.

16. mom2two

mom2two Approved members

No lanceting device that I know of with a light, sorry! My 7 yr old started on the OmniPod when he was 3 years old and we used it for 4 years and really liked it. We just switched to the Animas Pump and REALLY like that one as well. Good luck!!