- advertisement -

Question if you split the Lantus dose

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Lisa - Aidan's mom, Dec 12, 2013.

1. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

DS used to receive 14u of Lantus at bedtime, but due to repeated lows at 3:00 a.m., endo suggested splitting the dose.

Currently he receives 10u at 9:00 pm and 5u at 8:00 am.
    So, he is currently receiving 15u/day. We also just switched to the Lantus pen which I'm not crazy about, fair amount of leakage. He is now high during school hours.

I'm waiting for a call back from his endo for guidance, but if you split a Lantus dose; have you had better results with an even 50/50 split, 75/25, etc.?

Thanks for any advice.

2. AliciaM

AliciaM Approved members

When I was splitting lantus I was splitting 50/50. Endo switched me to levemir though as the lantus was stinging me almost everytime I injected.

3. GChick

GChick Approved members

I used to take like over 20 units/day trying to get Lantus to last the whole day, but was being unsuccessful.

After messing around for awhile after splitting, I find that 10 units at night, and 7 in the day does the charm. So for me a 50/50 split would not work well... and 75/25 is a lil off the mark as well. You may just need to test it out a bit.

4. MamaC

MamaC Approved members

We do 50/50 now, but in the past have been all over the map, from 70/30 to 30/70.

5. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Using Levemir here but I have not ever done a 50/50 split. She needs far more in the evening/morning than during the school day. I know this sounds simple but his bg numbers will tell you the correct split to make. Sounds like he needs more in the morning to me. Your Endo may suggest bumping up from 5u to 7u in the AM and see what that does to his school time numbers.

Good luck.

6. Lisa - Aidan's mom

Lisa - Aidan's mom Approved members

Thanks again!
    His CDE suggested leaving it at 10u at night and upping it to 6u in the morning. Trial and error, we'll see if this helps.

Thanks!