- advertisement -

Question - How dangerous is sharing Lancet devices? Contamination?

Discussion in 'School and Daycare' started by mommyto3, Jan 13, 2012.

1. mommyto3

mommyto3 New Member

My 7th grade daughter used another child's lancet device and meter at school. She had forgotten her's at home. She has gotten into a lot of trouble for doing this both with us and the school. How concerned should I be that she has been cross contaminated with another child's blood? It was a drum-type lancet device and she is insisting she turned it and I know the family. Also, how much trouble should she be in with the school? So far they have suspended her for a day until we have a meeting on Tuesday. Should I expect a more severe punishment?

2. swellman

swellman Approved members

Personally, if it were my child I wouldn't sweat it if I knew the other child or their parents. I personally think that the likelihood of infection is near zero especially if the drum was turned and if neither child has any infectious disease then the chance is zero. I would, however, discuss with him and take the opportunity to educate but I don't think it's a big deal. That's just my $0.02.

3. emm142

emm142 Approved members

Suspended!? :eek: I'd be on the school about that one. But then, I'm not a big fan of suspension where it isn't totally necessary.

I've used someone else's lancet before. We are good friends and know each other very well, and I was low. I didn't worry about the risks since I was 14 and she was 12 and we knew we didn't have blood borne diseases. The amount of blood transfer is SO minimal as well - I think it's unlikely that anything would be transferred.

Education is important and the sharing of needles and lancets is far from ideal, but I think that a suspension is too much. That's just my opinion.

4. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

Suspended?????? They cannot suspend her for that. That's completely inappropriate. Cross contamination is possible but not likely. Needle goes through dirty cap. She should always have a second set of everything at school. Then the problem is avoided. As far as your school goes they are out of line. I would propose the aforementioned solution and I would not stand for a suspension. Call the ADA.

5. Tamara Gamble

Tamara Gamble Approved members

What are their grounds? What did they say specifically?

6. lisac

lisac Approved members

I am not for sharing lancing devices. My dh and dd are NOT allowed to share. I doubt it would hurt anything, but it's just yucky to me. That being said, I'd be pretty upset about the suspension!! Good luck dealing with the school.