- advertisement -

Question for those with D for a long time - fingers and sensation

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by StillMamamia, Feb 11, 2009.

1. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

I'm curious to know if any of you who've been dealing with D for many years have lost sensation on your fingers (or toes for that matter) from BG testing?

FYI, we test the pinkie, ring and middle fingers on the sides. We dab a bit of handcream a few times a week to these areas. Any other advice.

Thanks for your replies.

ETA - maybe sensation is the wrong word, my apologies, but you know what I mean.

2. cydnimom

cydnimom Approved members

If loss of sensation is what you are thinking of I don't think it would be caused by poking your finger a cazillion times, but caused moreso by poor control of bloodsugars over a period of time.

My fingers do on occasion get sore because I have chosen one finger over the others just by habit. I use all my fingers and thumbs and only poke on the sides. I poke at least 6X per day and quite often more. If I rotate I don't usually run into this sore finger problem.

For what its worth I have full feeling in my fingers and toes and have had T1 for 30+ years, however, have only been finger poking for the last 23 years. I never even heard of a glucometer until I was 18 and moved to the big city.

Take care,

3. jilmarie

jilmarie Approved members

I have callouses on my frequent testing fingers that limit sensation somewhat. I think if I gave those fingers a rest and allowed the callouses to slough off, my sensation would return to normal. I don't think it's any permanent damage and it's not too severe. HTH

4. cilipu

cilipu Approved members

I asked André (35 years T1) and he says it is more like horny skin at his fingers and that is much better as he started changing his lancets after every use. His senses in the fingers are completely fine. It's like the skin you get on your fingers when you are playing guitarre I guess.

5. hypercarmona

hypercarmona Approved members

That's what mine feel like. I've done close to 15-20x tests per day the last few years and I've got some mean looking calluses, but they're on the sides so they don't interfere with my ability to feel. I NEVER use the tips or the pads of my fingers so I can minimize the damage to the nerve endings I use most.