- advertisement -

Question for those who have access to studies

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by hawkeyegirl, Nov 30, 2011.

1. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

See ya later.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

3. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

4. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

UGH that is ridiculous! :mad:I hope you get that straightened out ASAP!

Thanks Badshoe for that link. I'll be saving it just in case our BC tries the same thing.

Why don't the insurance companys get this+ Overall, more frequent SBMG seems to be associated with better metabolic control and thus may particularly contribute to reduce the occurrence of late diabetic complications among children and adolescents with type 1 diabetes (2), who are at increased risk for developing late diabetic complications as a result of almost lifelong suffering from the disease.

5. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

Do they think that because they cover the CGM 100% that it will require less bg testing? As illogical as it seems, I can kind of see the logic in it (though I don't agree with that kind of logic).

6. selketine

selketine Approved members

I don't know Bennet - that study also says that:

Increasing the SMBG frequency above 5/d did not result in further improvement of metabolic control.

So more than 5 tests a day didn't give better control and it seems like her insurance is currently giving her enough strips to equal about 5 a day plus a few extra.:(

7. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

8. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

Sorry I was actually researching a term paper due on friday and didn't read past the first few lines.

9. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

10. tiger7lady

tiger7lady Approved members

We have BCBS IL HMO as well and all it took was one form for the doctor to sign off on saying that we needed 900 strips (3 months supply) and it was approved within a couple of days. It really wasn't a fight at all. I downloaded the form from their website, had the doctor fill out and sign, and I faxed it in. Hopefully it will be just as easy for you.

11. HannahB

HannahB Approved members

We have had a similar experience- always have had BCBS PPO, in three different states. One time per year (it is good for 12 months if I recall correctly) the physician, endo, has to write a letter of medical necessity indicating why the number of strips ordered are a necessity (ie: hypoglycemic unawareness, wide fluctuations in bgs, etc.) I have only seen the letter one time but I know our endo "fluffs" it a bit, the same as the letters for CGMS coverage. I know every plan is different even if it is the same insurance but we are able to get 650 strips per month per child and it is approved often within 24 hours.

12. selketine

selketine Approved members

I'm glad you posted it - that was interesting to read actually. What really is surprising is that 5-6 tests per day is considered "increased" testing for some kids with type 1 - really???

13. MamaBear

MamaBear Approved members

Now that I have had a chance to read more than I had yesterday, I actually saw that part.:eek: At our visit to the endo in August, a new RN told us that many of the patients/parents at our clinic are not testing as much as they should. Made me wonder how many times a day they would test. I just cannot see testing less than 5.