- advertisement -

Question for teen girls

Discussion in 'Teens' started by momof3princesses, Dec 28, 2008.

1. momof3princesses

momof3princesses Approved members

I'm a mom with a question for you D teen girls. My daughter was just diagnosed (12/24) and so far her numbers have been good. I'm wondering what will happen to her blood sugars when she's on her period (before/during/after). Are there changes to the blood sugars?? I would love to hear from anyone willing to share. Sorry, I know it's personal but I know we're facing this within the next week or so.

2. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

I'm not one of the teens, but the parent of a teen...:). Danielle's numbers go wacky just before her period and again during ovulation. We can usually change her basals for that time period. I think you are still on MDI? Maybe talk to your Endo as to some increases you can do during this time if they really get wacky.

3. misscaitp

misscaitp Approved members

Sorry to hear about your daughters recent diagnosis.
    But BG's before and during periods are different for everybody. So people are insulin resistance, some are sensitive. I personally go high before and during my period, and then a return to settings that I was at before the period afterwards. Once you find that pattern that your daughter falls into it will be much easier to adjust off the back.

4. emm142

emm142 Approved members

When I was diagnosed, the hospital told me the one size fits all "people go high before their period", but in reality it's different for everyone and some people don't see any problems.

Personally, when I'm on my period I see highs after breakfast and sometimes lunch, and lows after dinner. So my ratios are 1:4.5 for breakfast rather than 1:5, and 1:10 for dinner rather than 1:9.

5. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

it depends on the girl. for the most part i go high, but some months i go low. the best advice i can give would be to check her blood sugar like crazy and as soon as she starts doing something funky call your endo/diabetes educator. it really is different for every girl and you won't know what she's going to do until she does it. also keep in mind that growth spurts, stress, certain foods(even carbed correctly), exercise and a million other little things will affect her blood sugar also. she also might be honey mooning, which will further complicate your job for the next few weeks or months.
    here's the link to two other threads that address this:)
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=23689&highlight=period
    http://forums.childrenwithdiabetes.com/showthread.php?t=30081
    good luck!
    Anna

6. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

It's very different for every girl, you can only hope you can find a pattern from month to month. The best advice I can offer you is to try to log carefully around the time of her period to try and find patterns. I dunno if that'll help though, because it's not always around the time of your period. I find myself going low the week before, for example....

Good luck and tell your daughter to come on here-she'll get unbelievable support!

7. k.hawkins92

k.hawkins92 Approved members

Well, everything I would have said has already been said. :D So, I'll just say that I'm sorry to hear your daughter was diagnosed, but DEFINETLY tell her that she is welcome to get a CWD account, there are so many wonderful people here who can help with any/all problems she will face with d.....or anything else for that matter. :D