advertisement

Question for Parents on CWD

Discussion in 'Stickies' started by CTuban, Nov 25, 2009.

1. CTuban

CTuban New Member

I'm a member of a group working with Jeff Hitchcock and Laura Billetdeaux from CWD. We are looking at ways to help CWD continue to meet the needs of families living with diabetes. To help us, we'd like your thoughts on the following questions - please feel free to respond to any or all of these questions. Thanks so much for your help!!

1. As a CWD users/participants, we would love to get your thoughts on a couple of questions.
    2. What made you join CWD originally?
    3. How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD?
    4. What feature do you use most often?
    5. What do you like most about CWD, and why?
    6. What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes?
    7. What other online sites or services do you value most, and why?
    8. What would your world be like without CWD?
    9. If CWD were a person, what would (s)he be like?
    10. If CWD could change or improve in any way, what would it be and why?
    11. Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD?

2. wilf

wilf Approved members

Responses are numbered as per your list below:

1. n/a

2. access to great scope and depth of information

3. information is well-organized and presented

4. forums

5. the ability to exchange ideas and information with other parents of kids with D

6. several reference texts, and other websites

7. none comes close to CWD

8. I'd suddenly have a lot of time on my hands :rolleyes: but I'd feel cut off from a valued source of information, peer support, and friendship..

9. friendly, well-organized, knowledgeable

10. don't know

11. depends on what they were about

3. frizzyrazzy

frizzyrazzy Approved members

1. As a CWD users/participants, we would love to get your thoughts on a couple of questions.
    2. What made you join CWD originally? Looking for other parents to share with.
    3. How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD? pretty easy. everything is indexed really well, so any google search usually comes right back to CWD
    4. What feature do you use most often? forums
    5. What do you like most about CWD, and why? It's got so much info and so many people that it never gets stale.
    6. What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes? this is about it.
    7. What other online sites or services do you value most, and why? none
    8. What would your world be like without CWD? sad, and lonely, and not quite as smart.
    9. If CWD were a person, what would (s)he be like? CWD would be like a really nice grandma, with a warm good smelling kitchen and a piece of pie and a shoulder to cry on and then she'd tell you that things aren't ever as bad as they seem...here eat some more pie. And this Grandma wouldn't be all that interested in being fancy or snazzy or grandma 2.0...she'd be happy as she is. Or, CWD would be like your very best girlfriend who you could tell anythign to and have drinks and be silly with.
    10. If CWD could change or improve in any way, what would it be and why? can't think of anything.
    11. Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD? Get the weekly ones. That's good. :)

4. badshoe

badshoe Approved members

[*]As a CWD users/participants, we would love to get your thoughts on a couple of questions.
    [*]What made you join CWD originally?
    The boards were more active than others.

[*]How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD?
    Well I mostly only read the board. Google finds what I need found on CDW or anyplace else.

[*]What feature do you use most often?
    Boards

[*]What do you like most about CWD, and why?
    Friends for Life.

[*]What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes?
    the DOC, blogs, Google reader and gin & tonic

[*]What other online sites or services do you value most, and why?
    Most of the DOC. Google reader.

[*]What would your world be like without CWD?
    We would use other diabetes resources but none has the participation of CWD. I owuld probably figure out Ning and use TuDiabetes more.

[*]If CWD were a person, what would (s)he be like?
    Jeff

[*]If CWD could change or improve in any way, what would it be and why?
    I liked the boards better when the OT and parents were all one. I get the reasoning but I like a more holistic - diabetes is just part of life - approach.

[*]Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD?
    No

[/LIST]

5. chkpea

chkpea Approved members

As a CWD users/participants, we would love to get your thoughts on a couple of questions.
    What made you join CWD originally? needed more info.
    How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD? very easy
    What feature do you use most often? the forums
    What do you like most about CWD, and why? upto date info and very informative users
    What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes? our d centre, books
    What other online sites or services do you value most, and why?
    What would your world be like without CWD? I think I would be more panicy and unsure of things
    If CWD were a person, what would (s)he be like? hmmm interesting question
    If CWD could change or improve in any way, what would it be and why? breakdown the forums a bit more
    Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD?yes

6. allisa

allisa Approved members

What made you join CWD originally?
    Looking for other people to talk to & learn from

How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD?
    VERY

What feature do you use most often?
    Forums

What do you like most about CWD, and why?
    How easy it is to navigate & all the little "tricks" that the forum does

What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes?
    Local support groups, doctor office

What other online sites or services do you value most, and why?
    LOVE Facebook for keeping in touch
    Use 2 other Parent forums ( for Down syndrome & autism) same as CWD

What would your world be like without CWD?
    less knowledgable and I'd have a lot more free time on my hands

If CWD were a person, what would (s)he be like?
    a friendly, reassuring nurse. One who gives you the facts, doesn't sugarcoat it, but assures you that you can manage it and isn't afraid to hug or cry with her patients.

If CWD could change or improve in any way, what would it be and why?
    I can't think of anything.......

Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD?
    hhhmmm...not sure what they would be about ??? announcement ? probably not necessary for me

Thanks so much for this great site !!!

7. Deal

Deal Approved members

I have found CWD to be an extremely helpful resource allowing me to really shorten the learning curve from dx to now. There is so much information in fact that it might makes sense to have a 'Best of for newbies' section for threads that contain really helpful facts and perhaps a 'Reviews' section for threads on all the various hardware/software/resources that are available to assist with the management of Diabetes. Great site, thanks to the contributors and founders.

8. fredntan2

fredntan2 Approved members

2. What made you join CWD originally?diabetes
    3. How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD?
    4. What feature do you use most often?really only use forums
    5. What do you like most about CWD, and why?
    I was at ADA boards. I like how this one has different sections. and when I click over post I can read a little bit about it without clicking
    6. What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes?
    books-favs are pink panther and think like a pancreas. we've done the CDE stuff.
    7. What other online sites or services do you value most, and why?sometimes i read SUM
    8. What would your world be like without CWD?
    lonely
    I think its perfect. just keep it secure.
    11. Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD? ok

9. StillMamamia

StillMamamia Approved members

HTH. This place rocks.

10. Deannas mom

Deannas mom Approved members

[*]What made you join CWD originally? I came across the site the weekend that my daughter was diagnosed and was taken in by the wonderful people on here, they were eager to answer my questions and welcomed me with open hearts

[*]How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD? extremely easy. If I can't find what I'm looking for, all I have to do is ask and I will get several people giving me the answer

[*]What feature do you use most often? the Forums

[*]What do you like most about CWD, and why? The people, we all share the same feeling, thought's fears, we all GET IT..you can't find that outside CWD, not even with your best friends If you don't live it, you don't get it CWD people get it, and that means everything to a parent with a Type 1 child

[*]What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes? I get most of my info from CWD but I also rely on JDRF

[*]What other on line sites or services do you value most, and why? JDRF's web site, because I am very involved with JDRF

[*]What would your world be like without CWD? Lost!! I could not have made it through this without CWD. Insulin is my Daughter's life line, CWD is mine

[*]If CWD were a person, what would (s)he be like? The world's best friend, counselor, therapist, Dr. completely understanding and accepting.

[*]If CWD could change or improve in any way, what would it be and why? N/A

[*]Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD? YES without a doubt

[/LIST]
    [/QUOTE]

11. Skyefire

Skyefire Approved members

Thanks for the great site Jeff :)

12. Mikker

Mikker Approved members

1. What made you join CWD originally? CWD had the largest search returns on the questions we were querying post dx.
    2. How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD? Extremely. A simple search of the forums has greatly improved our understand of t1d.
    3. What feature do you use most often? Forums.
    4. What do you like most about CWD, and why? The forums and sense of "community". CWD is international, and the 24/7 responsiveness to questions is invaluable.
    5. What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes? Books, however, CWD makes up 99% of our working knowlege and support.
    6. What other online sites or services do you value most, and why? While we have subscribed to other diabetes related sites, we very infrequently visit.
    7. What would your world be like without CWD? Don't even get me started. I can't even begin to fathom where we would be without the CWD community.
    8. If CWD were a person, what would (s)he be like? Like the analytical minds of wilf and David, the devotion and informational side of Ellen, the caring and supportive side of Paula, Heather, Karen, Amanda, and so many others, the youthful perspective of Danielle and Emma, the gracious and giving side of Candise, Melissa, Amy, Lianne, and the loving friendships of countless individuals all rolled into one.
    9. If CWD could change or improve in any way, what would it be and why? Promoting CWD with some of the larger D related agencies. Ie. lobbying to have CWD related information and links provided to newly dx'd families. No one directed us to the singular most positive influence and improvement of our sons quality of life. We had to seek it out on our own.
    10. Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD? Absolutely.
    [/QUOTE]

13. BrendaK

BrendaK Neonatal Diabetes Registry

2. What made you join CWD originally? When my son was dx'd in 2001, there was NO PLACE on the internet I could connect with other parents of babies with D. When the CWD forums started it was a godsend. I can't remember what year that was.
    3. How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD? Very, no problem finding info.
    4. What feature do you use most often? Forums. I also really enjoy reading the Q/A on the Ask the Diabetes Team section
    5. What do you like most about CWD, and why? It's the most thorough and comprehensive and relevent site about diabetes out there.
    6. What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes? Our endo team
    7. What other online sites or services do you value most, and why? Forums are my favorite
    8. What would your world be like without CWD? Sometimes I do take a break from CWD because I need a break from diabetes. And it's nice to know they are always there when I'm ready to jump back in the game.
    11. Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD? No, emails get lost in the email clutter box.

14. momma_fish2007

momma_fish2007 Approved members

What made you join CWD originally? When I found the site I wanted to post in the forums and therefore needed to join
    How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD? Very easily. It's catalogued very well
    What feature do you use most often? Parents forums
    What do you like most about CWD, and why? The wealth of knowledge in the forums. The fact that no matter what question you have there are so many wonderful people on here that have actually gone through what you're going through or are going through it now. And even if there's no 'answer' you have so many caring people to lend an ear. I love this site :)
    What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes? Our clinic mostly
    What other online sites or services do you value most, and why? Sugarstats.com to track the numbers
    What would your world be like without CWD? A lot more scary. This gives me hope
    If CWD were a person, what would (s)he be like? I can't really answer this because the whole point to me is that you have so many different people and personalities on here, you have the sympathetic and the no-nonsense people. You have people who have been doing this for years and people who have only just started learning. It's too broad to put one personality on.
    If CWD could change or improve in any way, what would it be and why? I don't think it could improve to be honest but prove me wrong anyhow :)
    Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD? It depends on the contents. A lot of my 'regular' emails get boring and therefore get deleted. Don't make it 'too' regular

15. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

What made you join CWD originally? I was desparate for information when my child was dx'd and CWD provided what I needed.
    How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD? Relatively easy. The pages I don't visit often I need to search for as they are named differently than I might have done it.
    What feature do you use most often? Ask the Expert, What's New, the Poll, the home page, this forum and the mailing list
    What do you like most about CWD, and why? The parents are dealing with many of the same issures that I am and offer ideas on what I can do to help my son grow to be a healthy, well adjusted man.
    What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes? A local day camp, the clinic my son uses.
    What other online sites or services do you value most, and why? Some of the blogs I enjoy, plus other websites that are linked to CWD or that fourm member provide a link to.
    What would your world be like without CWD? A lot more lonely and frustrating when dealing with diabetes.
    If CWD were a person, what would (s)he be like? Extremely well informed and kind in providing advice.
    If CWD could change or improve in any way, what would it be and why? I am not helpful here, I like what you have done for me over the past 12 years.
    Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD? I get the weekly updates, but am interested in other information you may have to offer.

16. Lee

Lee Approved members

# What made you join CWD originally?
    Seeking support as a single mom - I was very frustrated from being at 'war' with Dad's house...
    # How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD
    Wicked easy - I use Advanced search ALL THE TIME!
    # What feature do you use most often?
    The forums - for help and understanding
    # What do you like most about CWD, and why?
    That changes pretty darn frequently - sometimes it is for information, but just as often, it is for the relationships that I have formed through my time here
    # What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes?
    Our endo's office
    # What other online sites or services do you value most, and why?
    My Facebook for fun; my blog reader for information and entertainment, but this is really the Only D Forum I participate in becuase this is the place that always feels like home and family
    # What would your world be like without CWD?
    Well, I would probably still be feeling a little lost - co parenting with two households and D in the mix is extremely tough, and I just remember feeling so lost and scared and prosecuted, that this place really changed my life
    # If CWD were a person, what would (s)he be like?
    My best friend who isn't afraid to tell me if she is high, raise the insulin, low - lower it, and that my butt looks big...my friend who tells me like it is!
    # If CWD could change or improve in any way, what would it be and why?
    I don't that it can be - I think that it ebs and flows...I wish sometimes that troublemakers and trolls could be more easily identified, but I know that is to tough!
    # Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD?
    Nope - wouldn't read 'em.

17. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

I'd be lost without CWD, of that I've no doubt. :cwds:

18. shekov

shekov Approved members

2. As an overwhelmed mom of a 2 year old recently dx with type 1 D, I "googled" children and diabetes and found this site. I instantly felt welcomed and found the basic knowlege I required.
    3. quite easily...with the help of cwd users. I'm not especialy computer savy.
    4. I don't use any feature more than others.
    5. Support. Emotionaly and informational.
    6. Endo team and relatives and friends liviing with D
    7. none
    8. I would have to search many diffenrent sites for the info i get here.
    9.I dunno
    10. I dunno
    11. NO!

19. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

As a CWD users/participants, we would love to get your thoughts on a couple of questions.
    What made you join CWD originally? Well, needed somewhere to get answers that alot of people were going throught the same as we were and share info and get info.
    How easy are you able to find the information you are looking for on CWD?It was nice to get answers from only sincere people.
    What feature do you use most often? n/a
    What do you like most about CWD, and why?We like it more before up until some people were getting spitefull and mean. But will continue to look for answers from here. What other resources do you or your family rely on for help learning how to live life with diabetes? We have no other resources
    What other online sites or services do you value most, and why? n/a
    What would your world be like without CWD? I dont know how i would get by without it when we were devastated at the beginning. It was very helpfull.
    If CWD were a person, what would (s)he be like?
    If CWD could change or improve in any way, what would it be and why?
    Would you be interested in receiving regular emails from CWD? Less politics and let people voice their opinons even though it does not agree with others.

20. Sarah Maddie's Mom

Sarah Maddie's Mom Approved members

Message too short