- advertisement -

Question for moms of teen diabetic daughters

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by WendyFL, Aug 15, 2007.

1. WendyFL

WendyFL Approved members

Just curious; has your daughter begun her cycles yet? If so, how old was she? And when was she diagnosed with diabetes?

If you'd rather, you can PM me rather than posting here. Thanks!

Mine just turned 14, and hasn't started yet. I know I was either 14 or 15 when I began. But my mom was asking me if I thought the diabetes might be causing my dd to be late in starting.

2. momofsingingdiabetic

momofsingingdiabetic Approved members

It's possible.

Mine was 12 when she was diagnosed in 12/05. Many of her friends had already started. I started at 11 I think. She finally started in 8/06. There is a good chance that her D is causing the later start.

3. Mama Belle

Mama Belle Approved members

I do not have a teen daughter (yet) but it is my understanding that it is a relatively common occurrence for girls with diabetes to start menstruating later than average.

Whether it has to do with D or not, I wouldn't worry about it. I was a very late bloomer and I just looked at it as a welcome reprieve from cramps for a couple extra years (plus the added bonus of later onset of menopause).;) Plus I had that extra time to grow taller, which I absolutely love!

4. missnme

missnme Approved members

I was told by our endo and pediatrician to expect my daughters to start around the same age I started, regardless of diabetes.

5. Twinklet

Twinklet Approved members

My daughter will be 10 in October and isn't there yet. However, she is starting to develop breasts and her Pediatrician told me we had about another 1-2 years before it happens.

If that is true, it works out to about when I began.

6. Caynuns mom

Caynuns mom Approved members

D May Have A Bearing On This Issue But If Your Daughter Is Very Athletic That Will Cause Her To Start Later.

7. shirley83006

shirley83006 Approved members

i this very same question. because my daughter seems to show some sign of early development. i dont know. i dont really remember when i showed any signs. but i was at the age 13 . my daughter is 8 . i questioned that because the first time i took her to see her endo after her first 3 months, he was checking for a changes. i did not ask him. i dont know why i didnt. but the question came to my mind. could she start early due to diabetes? oh well. i hope its not early~

8. munsonklein

munsonklein Approved members

Sarah's 11, dx'd at 10. She's very close to starting, the endo's say "it's coming" every time we see them. They don't seem to think she'll be a late bloomer, and since she already has breasts and some of the other secondary signs, I imagine it won't be long. I started at 11 myself, which was a bit early back in the Dark Ages, but isn't now. Isn't the delay, if there is one, supposed to be because of poor control? I thought that didn't apply to kids who have reasonably tight control. If you started at 14 or 15, which is still within the normal time frame as far as I know, then that's probably when your daughter will start too, unless she's very thin or very athletic.
    Cathy