- advertisement -

Question for homeschooling parents about American history

Discussion in 'Parents Off Topic' started by Barbzzz, Jan 26, 2009.

1. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Can anyone recommend a good American history book (books) for the kids? Naturally, they learn nothing about American history over here (well, except for the slavery issue :eek: ) and I don't want them to miss out on what I consider important.

Do you have any recommendations for books, age appropriate (13, 10 and almost 8). They're all very good readers, so it needn't be too simple.

Thanks in advance.

2. Wendy12571

Wendy12571 Approved members

Barbara,
    Dear America, or the Dear Diary series of books are pretty good if you want fiction books about history. Also the American girl series do focus on history. I am trying to think of some of the other good historical fiction series. Oh The magic tree house series. If you find one about historical event. I think is one about Revolutionary war. They also have a companion study guide. Which gives facts.
    Wendy

3. KRenee

KRenee Approved members

The series of books by Joy Hakim, called The History of US is very good. My dd is enjoying reading them this year. But, if you need to ship them to Ghana it might be too expensive. Many people like The Landmark History of the American People From Plymouth to the Moon by Daniel J. Boorstin. I haven't read it so I can't say if it's any good, but it is a single book. Both of these were written to a 5th -8th grade level. Or maybe you could find a middle school textbook that would work.

4. vettechmomof2

vettechmomof2 Approved members

My daughter really enjoys All American History by Celeste W. Rakes.

Simple to follow with extras if you want to do them. Activity giude that you do not need but some mor eextras if you want them.

Allene

5. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

History of the US is LONG and BIG

We used Landmark last year. Its OK but I wouldn't call it great.

Personally, I think learning history through literature has a lot of value. Here is a curriculum that does that: http://www.bfbooks.com/ - its called Beautiful Feet

There is another one: Sonlight: http://sonlight.com. If you look for "Core 3" and "Core 4" you can see a list of literature books that they include. Some are non-fiction and some are fiction.

6. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

I agree with Joy Hakim's books. You might also look into Lies My Teacher Told Me by James W. Loewen for a less sanitized version of history.

Karen

7. WestinsMom

WestinsMom Approved members

That kind of sounds fun! I might have to look for that one just for my own personal use.

8. bkfkmc

bkfkmc Approved members

We just started the Core 3 this year and I am loving it! I think the Landmark History is a bit dry, but am loving the other books.

9. Karenwith4

Karenwith4 Approved members

You might also like this one too. I haven't read it but it is on my list for 'someday' - probably when we do US history with my oldest.

I haven't seen this one specifically but these lectures come highly recommended. My oldest really liked the Ancient History which is presented by the same teacher. We've also enjoyed their free audio lectures on a number of topics.

They are on sale right now - deeply discounted. These prices only usually happen about twice a year.

hth
    Karen

10. Barbzzz

Barbzzz Approved members

Thanks everyone for answering me. I'll have to do some investigating. I love the idea of combining a story line with history, that's what I remember growing up -- a lot of books were like that. I hadn't considered the DVD concept, either, that's pretty intriguing (and a lot cheaper to ship here!).

11. LJM

LJM Approved members

I agree with Karen's recc. of Joy Hakim's books "A History of the US." I would think Barnes and Noble has them and would send them to Ghana.