- advertisement -

Question for early Diagnosis/Progression

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Pauji5, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

Our 13 year old was diagnosed January 4th this year - we noticed symptons very early (we have a 10 year old with D as well)....elevated blood sugars, extra bathroom, drinks..and finally GTT, after 2 hours was high 300's...

He is a big kid, 5'6', 155 lbs...they started him on 4 units Levimir, correcting 1 unit over 200, not for meals....

We're progressed to 7 units Levimir, bousing and correcting dinner, snacks, bedtime....Last night, after 2 hours of Rubgy practice, he came home and was 200, corrected, only wanted a bowl of cereal, bolused,2 hours later was 350...gave 3 units (along with a glass of milk and a few vanilla wafers)...2 hours later, 375..2 more units....2 am, was 175....woke up 180.

My questions for those who have been diagnosed early...what was your progression like? I realized everyone is different and honeymoons are different, but we never had to go through this with Kendall - she was boom, was diagnosed and really didn't have a honeymoon.

They called from school today, 2 hours after breakfast was 275...

I'm thinking the honeymoon is soon over...... We were really hoping since he was diagnosed so early, starting him on insulin with help preserve some of those beta cells....

2. Mom2Kathy

Mom2Kathy Approved members

I don't have any real answer for you, but I do know that honeymoons can last a short time or a long time. My daughters was around 2 years. Her BG was over 700 at the time of her diagnosis, so I don't know if we technically caught it early. For a long time she was only on 2 units of Lantus per day, plus Novolog for meals with carb ratios around 1:30 or 1:40...seemed like a very small amount. Her TDD was only 7-9 units for a really long time. Just in the last year she's gone to around 12-15 TDD. Still not a whole lot, but based on her weight, etc., she is now out of the honeymoon.

I realize that catching it "early" could help extend the honeymoon, but I also wonder, with your son being 13, could it also be hormones? We haven't gotten to that point yet (my daughter is only 11), but I do know it's coming. :eek:

I will say when our honeymoon "ended" it was more gradual. We started seeing more need for insulin, more corrections. We had our pump by that point, so it was easier to adjust for the additional need.

3. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

Has he been on low doses of insulin since he was dx? Have his numbers been relatively in range? None of what you are describing now sounds like a honeymoon. That high after Rugby practice could be from the activity. Some children go high after activity. But to me, with those high numbers, it sounds like he needs more insulin.

Sorry about the second dx.

ETA: Maybe you didn't catch it as early as you think? You don't have to say the number, but was his A1C really high or was it more in the normal range?

4. zoomom456

zoomom456 Approved members

My son was diagnosed at 13 months before any symptoms of diabetes appeared. His highest BG at that time was 230. His A1C was 5.7 He was caught very early thanks to the TEDDY study. He went on 1 unit of Levemir a day for 6 weeks. That was his honeymoon. Then we started noticing his numbers starting to climb and gradually his insulin needs increased. We started bolusing for meals etc.

I wander as the pp mentioned if yours could be growth related?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  5. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

His A1c was 5.6 in November, 5.8 in December and 6.0 in February. His wake up numbers are anywhere from 120 - 140....has been relatively normal during the days (most days...) but the evening numbers are higher alot (150's 190's). He's never had an activity "high" and he plays Rubgy, basketball and Football - in fact, it really seems to keep him lower.

we are correcting, and will increase the Levimir again tonight...I give a week inbetween increasing...

and everyone couple days, he as an "inappropriate" low - it's like his pancrease just spits out insulin when it feels like it.....

6. Pauji5

Pauji5 Approved members

I honestly don't know....we're so use to dealing with a little 10 year old girl.....he's a big hulky kid, so I know he'll soon need much more than she does...

7. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

So it does seem like you caught it pretty early. It does sound like the end of the HM. 13 is a tough age, with all those hormones swirling around. Good luck...

8. mmgirls

mmgirls Approved members

how about spliting the levimir to help deal with night time highs and wakeup numbers?

9. mom2ejca

mom2ejca Approved members

Is he feeling ok? We found during the honeymoon that illnesses required a significant increase in insulin. So insulin needs would go up during the illness, especially if there was a fever, and then drop back down, but not quite back to levels right before.

10. irishmom

irishmom Approved members

My son was 13 at dx....on a routine sports physical.....no symptoms......he was dx Last July.....his second A1c was 5.2...first was 5.7.....he had gotten quite a few illness and that triggered the honeymoon to end they said.....about 5 months later.....he plays lots of sports ....and last week at an intense track meet 4x4.... He was 293 too start.....he was the last runner and in second place....he had to catch up and beat the kid.....bs after that was 475...... Which I noticed an increase during certain football games as well....the dr said it is adrenaline......though a few hours later he was 60(..... Dr's told me all react differently.....to different sports and situations and throw a lil puberty in it and it's all haywire.....hope it gets better for you.....
    Marcia