- advertisement -

Question for Christmas with Diabetic kids

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by Peanut6, Nov 29, 2012.

1. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

My daughter's favorite stocking item - even before D - is the character band-aids rather than the boring ones I usually grab.

2. KaseyK

KaseyK Approved members

Sugar free gum, fun pens/stickers. Little cheap toys from the dollar store and candy...lots of candy
    Even before D we gave tons of candy, but he could only pick one or two first thing in the morning. Bolus & no worries :)

Dont put D before Christmas. Keep it the same as before Dx

3. GaPeach

GaPeach Approved members

Looking for the LIKE button! So cute!

4. Christopher

Christopher Approved members

You may want to reexamine your diabetes management philosophy. Not letting an 8 year old have candy on Christmas simply because they have diabetes seems to be rather restrictive and unnecessary. More modern methods of managing diabetes do not restrict candy (as you can see from many of the responses you have received here).

5. Joretta

Joretta Approved members

We do the same as always. We never over did candy. A small box of a trail mix, candy cane a big one, video to watch, iTunes gift card, socks, jewelry, toothbrush with character (when teen wisps)perfume( cologne like axe) and lastly chocolate covered cherries. We have always taught moderation. The cane cane is usually still on the fridge in march and then pitched. Chocolate cover cherries one a day lets make them last they are kept special. By the way the trail mix is great as what she eats if she really does not want to eat a real meal a lunch.

6. Izzi

Izzi Approved members

My parents gave me and my siblings the exact same things in all of our stocking, including candy. But, in mine and my sisters Santa wrote us a little note and added "PS I think these would be important (nutrition facts were attached.), Izzi. Enjoy Christmas and remember to bolus!!! (-:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  7. MelissaAL

MelissaAL Approved members

Love this! This is our first Christmas post dx and things won't change much. Maybe a few less candies or cookies made, but that benefits everyone in the house. DD has started to love gum this year, even before dx so that will make an appearance in her stocking. Funny, but I am excited about Christmas this year, just to show D who's boss.

8. Deal

Deal Approved members

Don't make the same mistake I made and stick a new meter in there. It really didn't go over well at all.

9. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

:)

I decided way back not to give any diabetes related gifts for holidays or birthdays. They are necessities in my book, like socks and underwear, so if you need it, you get it. She wanted a new skin for her pump, that will just be worked into the budget.

10. Mommy For Life

Mommy For Life Approved members

No bueno! That would be like the year my husband gave me a crockpot for xmas. He learned the hard way never give me another household item again for Christmas or my birthday! :rolleyes: :D

11. denise3099

denise3099 Approved members

lmao!!! HA.
    No--no one wants to see D stuff in the xmas stocking. Like when we gave my ds a calculator for his bday (among other things obviously) he was not at all pleased.

12. stephnms

stephnms Approved members

I'm so glad someone asked this, because I was wondering the same thing. :)

13. quiltinmom

quiltinmom Approved members

That's a great example. One of my boys would be excited to get a calculator, but the other would be greatly disappointed.

We got a box of pump stuff and I joked that we should wrap it up, and ds gave me that look....the one that says, "LAME!!!!" I quickly reassured him that I was only joking.

14. pianoplayer4

pianoplayer4 Approved members

this made me laugh, my mom doesn't but d stuff in my stocking, but I've gotten soap, shampoo, socks and underwear every year since I was little!