- advertisement -

Question for Apidra users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by allisonsmom, Apr 24, 2007.

1. allisonsmom

allisonsmom Approved members

We switched from Novolog to Apridra on Friday. So far we have been having trouble with highs. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Jackie

2. thebestnest5

thebestnest5 Approved members

We don't use Apidra. But, just a thought, maybe there is some initial insulin resistance while the body accustoms itself to a new insulin?

3. Amy C.

Amy C. Approved members

When are the highs happening? It could be the Lantus that is wrong if your child is high before meals.

My son has used Apidra since September of 2006. It has worked well in the pump. Humalog didn't work at all.

4. Jen Jen

Jen Jen Approved members

Different Insulins will mean changes. The three rapids are all very different except in the fact they have similar reaction times. It'll just take some tweaking and adjusting, it's sort of like starting all over, cause you'll have to refigure your I:C, BG:I, and all.

5. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

The FIRST thing I'd suspect is....

bad storage of the Apidra in Transport. Call Sanofi-Aventis and get some fresh bottles delivered via overnight, with cold packs in (do NOT get more "bad" bottles from the same place you got these possibly "funky" ones.)

The 2nd thing I'd suspect is: Allison reacts badly Apidra or something in it's carrier. If the problem continues with new bottles, SWITCH BACK... you don't want to continue using something which has allergy or bio-availability problems.

I'm not a medical professional, but I developed allergy to the carrier fluid in Lilly insulins many years ago. I have to use other brands. (In fact, I use Novo and Apidra :cwds: ) Allison may be having a similar problem.

6. rickst29

rickst29 Approved members

good question, but NO.

No. either the insulin is bad from mis-handling, or Allison's body is reacting to it in a bad way-- which will only stay the same or get WORSE, not better. (Many other drugs have a "ramp-up" period of many days, but insulin and insulin-analogs don't.)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2007
  7. allisonsmom

allisonsmom Approved members

I thought I would share some interesting info. I know a nurse of an adult endo. Her husband has type 1. I called yesterday to ask her what she knew about Apridra. She left me a message that the endo she works for was involved in a clinical trial with Apridra and her husband took part. Her husband's insulin needs increased sustantially by day 3. She didn't say if he stayed on it. She said they found that the Aprida started working more quickly but didn't last as long. That is what I had heard and so I quess I will just keep working with it.