- advertisement -

Question for Animas Ping Users

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by dshull, Nov 4, 2013.

1. dshull

dshull Approved members

Hi,

We're two months in with the ping and we are all loving it. At home (or anywhere outside of school really), we exclusively use the meter remote for testing and bolusing. At school, my son tests three times a day using a meter that stays at school - twice at the nurse, and once in the classroom. He tests before snack and lunch, and those BGs get into the pump when he gets bolused for food. He tests in class before he heads to the bus and radios the nurse his number. Unless he needs a correction, that number never makes its way into the pump. So when we download the pump, all of those mid afternoon numbers from school are missing.

I would like to have these numbers in the pump, but am struggling with the best way to get them in there. The only way I could figure out how to make them show up was to act like I was bolusing a correction and then just bolus for 0.0 units. Is there another way that I am missing?

Generally speaking, we don't correct him when he is leaving school because it is a longish bus ride and a few times he has dropped too low from a correction. I would like my son to enter the numbers himself on the pump while he's in his classroom, but I get nervous that he will accidentally bolus himself because he is so freaking fast. He is only 8 and he does bolus himself (sometimes), but only with one of us standing over his shoulder. I don't want to involve the nurse on this because he already thinks going there twice a day is twice a day too many.:)

Is there an easier way to get these numbers into the pump, or is that the only way? Thanks for any suggestions!

2. mapoe4

mapoe4 Approved members

My son is 9 and uses the ping pump. I don't know for sure if there is a way or not. I send his meter to school with him but it stays in the clinic Long story short I have to fight with the school for everything.

What about him writing his number down on a note pad before he leaves. Then you can go into the pump and put the number in yourself when he gets home?

I don't know how often you download the pump but I am pretty sure you can add to it. I might be mistaken about that but I think you can.

3. missmakaliasmomma

missmakaliasmomma Approved members

Is there a specific reason why you need that number in the remote? To notice patterns or something like that? I'm just wondering. I personally don't know if there was an option to manually put a BG in the ping, we haven't used it for a couple of months and I never tried to do it so I'm just not sure. Does he carry a cell at all? Then he could call or text when he gets on the bus to let you know his bg. I too wouldn't feel comfortable putting the BG in and bolusing for 0 units... you just never know.

4. Beach bum

Beach bum Approved members

I don't think there is a way to plug in the number without doing a bolus. Any chance he can bring the meter home? My daughter had a kit that went back and forth to school in her backpack along with a notebook the nurse recorded everything in. I would generally download weekly into Diasend.

5. shannong

shannong Approved members

These are the only options I can think of: 1. He uses the meter remote to blood check at school and brings it back and forth 2. He uses another meter that he brings home with him 3. He enters the number and gives himself 0 bolus (although I do understand your concerns here, however because they have to manually input the bolus anyway I do think there is some safety measure here. If my son has a high bg, I often ask him to check what the pump wants to give as a correction. By accident, he has hit GO a few times, but only ever delivered 0 units.

6. sparty87

sparty87 Approved members

the zero bolus method you described is what we were taught during pump training. It is nice and useful to have everything in the pump for upload to diasend.

7. Caldercup

Caldercup Approved members

My son does the zero bolus method to get his BG readings in the pump when he's not using his Ping remote.

Our diabetes team would like to see them all, so he tries his best to enter every reading.

8. Beach bum

That's the hard part, getting them to remember/bother to do the zero bolus. My daughter is 12 and she wants to be as quick as possible so as not to miss much in class (even though she's doing it in class, it is a distraction to her). Because of all the button pushing with the ping, she couldn't be bothered doing this extra step, even though she zips through. But, she also carries the paired meter to/from school. It's the first year she is showing that she can remember to bring it home.

So for us, bringing the meter home and downloading works better.

9. dianas

dianas Approved members

Do you download the pump at home into software or just scroll through numbers on the meter remote? Any backup meters used can be uploaded into Diasend and you will capture all blood sugars. It's been a while since I uploaded but I believe the software supports up to 4 meters at a time. If you get a cable from the meter manufacturer you can periodically bring the meter from school home and download it. The downside would be you would have to make sure you brought the school meter back the next day or have 2 school meters and swap out.

10. dshull

dshull Approved members

Thanks for all of your replies. It seems like I have two choices here:

1) Let him enter the BG into the pump and do a 0.0 bolus. This would work except I get nervous if the pump recommends a correction and he does what it suggests without thinking. This is what we usually do anyway, but I don't like him to get corrected before the bus ride home unless he is really high.

2) Have him bring the meter home and download. This might be my best option.

I wish there was a way to manually enter numbers into Diasend because the nurse emails me his end of day numbers, and I had assumed I could enter them into Diasend. I think I may be grateful for this feature though when he is a teenager and the only way I'll know what is truly going on is to download the pump.
    ;)
    Thanks!

11. Dad_in_Canada

Dad_in_Canada Approved members

Hopefully I'm not changing the topic of this thread too much, but are there any Ping pump functions that I can't do with the meter/remote?

I read elsewhere that it's not possible to do a temp basal from the meter/remote. The meter/remote will display what the temp basal values are, but you have to set them via the pump, not the remote. Is this true?

We're thinking of getting the Ping for the meter/remote, particularly to make overnight temp basals a bit easier to do. But if the meter/remote can only be used for bolus, well that's a bit of an issue.

12. hawkeyegirl

hawkeyegirl Approved members

The Ping remote cannot set/cancel temp basals.

13. Beach bum

Sadly this is true. Of course when we want to do the temp basals it's in the middle of the night, so that means digging around for the pump. You also cannot do any changes to basal or IC programs.