- advertisement -

Question for a research project

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Mgirod, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Mgirod

Mgirod Approved members

Hey guys,
    So I'm doing a research project at school and I decided to do the comparison between Type 1 and Type 2 and I was wondering what you guys think about it? Do you think there should be a different thing distinguishing them other than 1 and 2? If so what would you call them and which would you keep the same? Do you know of anybody that is trying to get the names changed so people don't get the two confused? Any other opinions you have will be great as well! Please Help!! THANK YOU

2. BarbDwyer

BarbDwyer Approved members

My personal opinion is that continuing to educate people is as good a use of time and resources as changing the name. I'm not all that offended when people don't know anything about diabetes or confuse the two. (I reserve the right to change my mind - I'm very new to this world and I'm sure it gets old and tiresome.) It wasn't very long ago that I didn't know anything about it. There are tons of illnesses I still know nothing about :shrug: Changing a name is not going to result in people having a better understanding IMO.

My other kids have ADHD, Dyslexia, CAPD. I think I spend more time clearing up misinformation about those things than I do diabetes and they are more common. Those things get plenty of 'jokes' and judgments made about them as well and those boys can't help it or cure it or prevent it either. Diabetes doesn't corner the market on misinformation and callousness in the general population that does not understand it and a name change won't change that IMO (which I suspect is in the minority).

3. Snowflake

Snowflake Approved members

This is a good point, Barb. We get more misinformed, cringe-worthy comments about my dd's celiac than her Type 1, partly because of the confusion with the current gluten-free diet craze; on that score, we've certainly run into some assumptions that we're crazy helicopter parents.

However, to get to the original question: yes, I do wish the names were not so easily confused. I actually react to this most in media reporting, where journalists report on the "effectiveness of a diabetes drug," or the "role of some lifestyle factor in diabetes," or "skyrocketing rates of diabetes in sedentary teenagers." When the reporter doesn't make clear that he/she is referring to Type 2, it feeds all sorts of misinformation over not just what might cause Type 1 but also how it's treated. I really appreciated the Editor's Note at the top of this article, and I'd like to see more like it: https://www.yahoo.com/health/nearly-30-of-americans-who-have-diabetes-dont-know-it-103061080597.html

So I guess I'm not so much hung up on changing the name at this late date, as on whether people are specific when they're only talking about a particular type of diabetes.

4. Mgirod

Mgirod Approved members

Okay I see where you are coming from, so do you believe that there should be somewhat of a "course" (Optional) in school (Maybe) that would be offered to teach kids about different disorders and diseases? Obviously not mandatory but say as an elective? Do you think it would be beneficial in life if more people were educate about these different things? Thanks again!

5. Connie(BC)Type 1

Connie(BC)Type 1 Approved members

I've always called it Juvenile Diabetes, it doesn't offend me, just as being a diabetic doesn't offend me.