- advertisement -

Question about Type 2

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by BozziesMom, Aug 26, 2008.

1. BozziesMom

BozziesMom Approved members

Is Type 2 the same as "secondary" diabetes? Or is secondary something on its own? Or did my doctor make it up? :)

Back when I was 24, I had a preliminary dx of Type1 D. After blood test results however, I had Hashimoto's Hypothyroid. For nearly 20 years now, as long as I take my thyroid meds, my BG is fine.

So was wondering if then I'd be considered Type 2 even though I only get D symptoms when I don't take my thyroid meds. And I have had occasion to run out of thyroid meds over those years, and my BG ALWAYS goes up. So it's definitely linked, but controlled with thyroid meds.

So, same thing or different? Thanks!

ETA: Oops. Found it. If anyone is interested in the topic: http://yourtotalhealth.ivillage.com/secondary-diabetes.html

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008
  2. CAGrandma

CAGrandma Approved members

At least in your case I'd say that 'secondary' and Type 2 mean the same thing. In Type 1 the pancreas cells stop making insulin - and your pancreas seems to be able to produce insulin most of the time (while you are on your other meds). Probably the changes when you go off them stop the cells from utilizing the insulin you are making, which is pretty much the definition of Type 2.

3. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Secondary usually means that there is a primary diagnosis.
    For example, if you had pancreatitis and your pancreas was removed, you have diabetes secondary to pancreatitis.
    If you had HIV and the HIV meds caused insulin resistance enough for diabetes, you have diabetes secondary to HIV.
    You might have diabetes secondary to Hashimoto's.

That doesn't mean it's not type 2.

4. BozziesMom

Thanks folks! No I guess it doesn't matter what it's called as long as taking my thyroid meds handles it. It's the only thing that does. Diet seems to have no affect better or worse. I eat pretty well anyway. Crazy how thyroid meds takes care of your BG issues (well my BG issue). lol.

I get my A1C checked along with my thyroid levels in light of the whole situation. My results yesterday - 5.2. Hooray for thyroid meds. When my thyroid levels are low, my BG is high. It's a wonderful thing. :rolleyes:

5. deafmack

deafmack Approved members

No Type 2 and Secondary are not the same thing but it Type 2 can be brought on by other diseases or drugs, for example, hemochromatosis or iron-overload disease brings on Type 2 or steroid use over a prolonged period can bring on Type 2 so there is more than one cause to type 2. It all varies from person to person. I was just reading where a person can have a condition where their pancreas produces large amounts of insulin causing the person to gain weight all the time and the only way to stop it is to have the insulin producing cells of the pancreas removed. The person has secondary diabetes but does not have type 1 or type 2. It is diabetes caused or precipitated by another condition. Hope that makes sense.

6. BozziesMom

Yep. It does. So far I'm the only person I know with it. Not that I've taken a poll. :) I suspect my mother has it too. Her BG has been high (A1C 8 point something at last check) and I'm of the very definite opinion her thyroid meds aren't sufficient as she's still having many many hypo symptoms. I mean I obviously inherited the hashi's, why not the secondary D? You know?

When my son was dxd with T1 I so hoped that just maybe he had the same as me... but no. :(