- advertisement -

question about "that time of the month"

Discussion in 'Teens' started by kierbabi09, Sep 12, 2008.

1. kierbabi09

kierbabi09 Approved members

:eek: ok I'm a little embarressed to ask this, but here goes!
    yesterday I got my period and today I noticed that my bs are a little bit higher. Today so far I was 124,289 (haven't been that high in about a month), 142 and 202. Not too too bad, but high enough. Do you think it's because of my period? This morning for breakfast I had a bagel (30 g carbs and a glass of milk and I only covered for the bagel, not the milk) I do that when I'm in school, I won't cover for milk and it's been working really well for me. So what do you think? I have never really noticed if my period did anything to my bs but now I'm beginning to think it does...No I'm lying I went up to 330 something before when I had it..........SO is that what it is???

2. MissEmi

MissEmi Approved members

My BGs go down the week before and UP the week of. It's a regular pattern for me LOL.

3. s0ccerfreak

s0ccerfreak Approved members

I would definately say yes it is related. I go higher a few days before/during then drop like a rock for a few days after.

4. malyssa

malyssa Approved members

Me too. When I was on Lantus, I would up it a few units every month, when I started to notice my numbers climbing, and then my insulin needs would gradually come back down. I will start going high a day or two before, and remain high for the first few days. Then, like Rae, I drop. Now I have a special basal set for that time of the month, because for some reson I require more insulin during the night when I get it. :confused: And, my ICR goes from like...1:12 to 1:10. So yes, its normal. And...don't be embarassed. :cwds:

5. LadyBug

LadyBug Approved members

well, i was gonna PM you, but i guess since all the other girls posted....i'll suck it up and do it:p

my blood sugars go crazy before/during it. most of the time high, but once or twice we couldn't keep them up. it's kinda like being sick:(. some people have a basal just for that time of the month, but we haven't done that because my reg. basal changes inbetween times:rolleyes:.
    it's just a crazy week for most of us, i think:eek:

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  6. kierbabi09

I was 275 before dinner and 6 units, 1 slice of pizza and 2 hours later I was down to 235. And I feel like crap. my whole body aches, I can't stay awake. I think I'm sick, so it might be that too.

7. Dx011106

Dx011106 Approved members

I just had this problem Monday and Tuesday... I assumed I was getting sick, so I ate more vitamin-c, drank more water, and crossed my fingers. Then my period started and it all made sense. Terrible timing with school starting too, right?

8. someone

someone Approved members

I'm not a girl... but... hormones can cause insulin resistance or liver dumps. It's much like what is referred to as the "dawn phenomenon" where your BG increases during night time hours. As in your case, hormones are most likely the culprit for the increase. You might try to find a pattern and increase Lantus slightly during those times. If you were on a pump, you could set a temp basal.

http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/centres/diabetes/reproductive/menstruation.html

Obviously, I can't speak from experience. :p

Last edited: Sep 13, 2008
  9. kierbabi09

ok I knew it!! I am 303:mad: after waking up at 123

10. Danielle2008

Danielle2008 Approved members

Oh yes...my BG is affected during my 'monthly' as well. Stress, hormones etc....all of that ca play a part.

This may be TMI, but...well...it will at least let you know you are not alone.

My period started last week, right when I had two very long mandatory training days at my work. Long story short, between the stress of learning new things at my job, and the other thing...well, my BG was everywhere. High, low, high low etc. Absolutely no pattern for me to follow, it was very much like throwing a dart in the dark. Hoping each time I hit the target. I wasn't incredibly high, just not in my range many times...and then when I upped my humalog, I would go low. I did even have to raise my Lantus a unit up as well.

Monday night, my dad made pasta. I had a very little amount(measured out to be about 20 carbs) with veggies and shrimp. Anyway, I am still new at figuring out pasta kind of meals(because of the slow digestion)...I covered my meal, and went 47 low 40 minutes later. Had a juice, brought me up to 75...left it there. Was 220 two hours later. Corrected, went to bed, and woke up 165(I normally wake up 90-120). You can say I wasn't in a great mood that morning.

Then once the monthly ended, everything went back to normal...my usual I:C ratios seemed to work again. However, to confuse the situation more...my work training ended at the same time, so I don't really know which one was affecting my BG more. Stress or hormones...or both!

D can be so frustrating some times:rolleyes:

11. flabby_abi

flabby_abi Approved members

it is TOTALLY connected!!!!!! i have different basil rates for "that time of the month" and i also have a different IC ratio.

12. karpoozi123

karpoozi123 Approved members

I always get low the week before it comes and high the week of. :eek:
    The low's are like a reminder: "I'm coming!" :rolleyes:

13. Tricia22

Tricia22 Approved members

I am on pills since without the birth control pills, I basically don't get my period (why that would be a bad thing, I have no idea.... sounds nice to me :cool:) Anyway... my hormonal stuff is slightly different as I don't ovulate being on the pill, but I go low, like sometimes LOW LOW every month the week of my period.... from what I understood from my endo. and gyne. ovulation causes highs, menstruation can easily cause lows... all with the hormone cycles.... I always drop my basals to anywhere from 85% to 65% during that week....
    Hope you get it figured out though... not fun, but not as bad when it's predictable every month happening and such....

14. kierbabi09

actually I'm on birth control pills because I have too much of a certain hormone and with out the pills, I don't get my period either.
    But thanks for the info!