advertisement

Question about t-slim x2 charging

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by joshuasgranny, Jun 23, 2018.

1. joshuasgranny

joshuasgranny Approved members

It's been a long time since I’ve posted in this group or even visited this group, but I am happy to see that these forums and the people here are as helpful as ever.

Current pump is an Animas Ping. We’ve always used the Ping, this is our second one. We have always been more than satisfied with Ping and the service we’ve gotten from them when it was needed. Sadly, this pump is nearing the end of its lifespan, so we are shopping for a new pump and also planning on adding the CGM, which will be an entirely new experience for us since we’ve never had a CGM before.

We have our choices narrowed down to two- the Medtronic 670g or the t-slim x2. We are really leaning towards the t-slim because of its Bluetooth capability and the way it can be updated. We also love the trendy and updated look of it.

There’s one thing that concerns me, and that’s got to do with the method of charging the pump.

We live in a very rural area and power outages are common. A good storm, especially a winter ice storm, can knock our power out for days. We’ve been without power due to an ice storm for a couple of weeks before.

With the Ping, this was not a big concern because we kept lots of extra batteries and supplies at home and in our emergency go bags and also in our get home bags we keep in the cars. We also have supplies stored at various locations on our property, so that they are accessible in just about any given emergency scenario.

I have read that the t-slim is rechargeable, and to the best of my understanding the 670 uses a battery much the same way the Ping does. (Please correct me if I’m wrong about that.)

My question is..in the event of an extended power failure, is there any way to charge the t-slim x2 (do you have the ability to run it on a battery if needed?) or would you simply be without an insulin pump (once the battery ran down) until power is restored and the pump can be recharged?

2. Ali

Ali Approved members

No battery for TSlim except the built in rechargeable one. I have the TSlim but I also do not like this aspect of it. The Medtronics use a standard battery.

3. joshuasgranny

Thank you for your reply. I really prefer the features of the t-slim, but with no charging capability in the event of a power outage or disaster of some sort, I think I had better choose the Medtronic.

4. MEVsmom

MEVsmom Approved members

I would not let the charging option be your only deciding factor. In my opinion there is a world of difference between Medtronic and T-Slim other than the charging. I live in Southeast Louisiana so we are always worrying about Hurricane Threats and power outages. You can get a battery pack or even charge it in a power cup or something in your car. You could also go back to your Ping temporarily if you got in that much of a jam.

5. joshuasgranny

I don’t have a vehicle, but I know that you can buy solar charging devices to use to charge cell phones, etc. I wonder if something like that could be used to charge the t-slim?

Also, something else that weighs on my mind..how secure do you feel the Bluetooth capability is? In other words, how hackable do you think the t-slim is?

All in all, I am leaning towards the t-slim x2. The two things weighing heavy on my decision are the battery charging problem and the security of the Bluetooth capability on the device.

Thank you so much for your reply and alternative charging suggestions. I really appreciate it!

6. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Portable chargers - solar or otherwise! They charge your phone and your insulin pump. They hold a charge for a long time. You could have one charged in your supply case for just this reason.