- advertisement -

Question about sugar in urine

Discussion in 'Adults with Type 2' started by r'sister, Jul 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r'sister

r'sister Approved members

My husband has type 2 diabetes.

My daughter had gestational diabetes requiring daily injections. But she hasn't had any problems for 2 yrs.

Yesterday my husband's meter was acting up so he asked my daughter to check her blood to see if it was him, the meter or the strips.

With meter #1, her blood level was 375. With meter #2, it was 340. This morning it was 245 when she woke up.

She just went in to see her dr, her blood was 204. She hasn't had anything to eat since dinner last night. When they checked her urine, there wasn't any sugar in it.

Her dr says she doesn't have diabetes, but maybe a hidden virus causing the high bg's.

Does this sound right?

2. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

Nope, not right.. a random BG over 200 is actually diagnostic of diabetes (and at that, a fasting over 126 is all it takes, so if that 204 was fasting, that's not good at all), it's not something that happens simply "because of a virus". I'd encourage your daughter to see another doctor... and soon!

3. r'sister

My daughter's dr feels that because there is no sugar in the urine, that it's not diabetes.

We just got her labs back, her urine tested negative for both glucose and ketones.

The only thing all of the labs show is red blood cells in her urine.

4. betty6333

betty6333 Approved members

I understand that a diabetes diagnosis is scary, and no sugar in the urine means very very little. My son rarely has sugar in the urine and he definitely has diabetes.

This is about her long term health and the sooner she will accept this, the better she will feel and be in the long run.

My mother "denied" her diabetes for years, she didn't want anything to say she had diabetes, she would fast for 2 days before an appointment so her BG would go down. She is now experiencing the complications of it.

No sugar in the urine means that her kidneys MAY not necessarily be damaged yet, but in no way rules out diabetes.

I wish it were that simple. Her OBGYN, should have explained to her that if gestational D shows up, that there is an increased risk of it showing up after the pregnancy.

Please enourage her to see an endocrinologist, and they can look at whether it is type 1.5 lada or type 2.

5. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

I can find you the research stating that renal threshholds- the blood sugar level at which sugar shows up in urine- varies pretty widely. A 300 blood sugar will put sugar in almost everybody's pee, but a 200? Not necessarily.

Also, her blood sugar sounds like it is going up and down and all around and it is diabetes even if it comes down to normal some of the time. I bet repeating that urine check would get you a positive sooner or later. I am going to look for some research studies- will come back to this thread.

6. TheFormerLantusFiend

TheFormerLantusFiend Approved members

Q

In this study done in 1927 on nondiabetics during surgery, blood sugar levels were measured every 15-20 minutes and they looked to see if sugar showed up in the urine. 30 out of 44 had sugar in their urine. Of the 14 who didn't, 3 cases had blood sugar that was absolutely definitely high enough to be diabetes if it wasn't under surgery circumstances. Now, it's possible that this is because they took the urine at the wrong moment- but if your daughter had blood sugars even for an hour a day like these guys, that's diabetes.

In particular, on page 3 there's a list of results. Look at patient 3; there was no sugar in the urine but the patient's blood sugar peaked at 222 and was high for hours. Look at patient number 5; that patient's blood sugar went up to 386 without sugar in the urine. Patient number 17, same story; went up to 266 without having sugar in the urine.

Another study, done in 1967, measured blood sugar levels and whether the person was positive or negative for sugar in the urine with a clinistix (same thing your doctor will use- not a really sensitive measure). The data on page 2 shows what happened before and after drinking sugar- it clearly shows that while higher blood sugar tended to mean a positive urine sample, the highest blood sugar that didn't correlate to a positive urine sample was 300! It also shows that the urine stayed positive after blood sugar dropped (this isn't really obvious- it is NOT measuring threshold directly!).

7. Mistync991

Mistync991 Approved members

my daughter at dx was 390 and had no keytones/sugar in her urine please have your daughter see the dr again or see another dr

8. r'sister

My daughter's dr is out until Monday, but she did leave a message requesting a referal to an endo.

Thank you for all the info.

9. Jeff

Jeff Founder, CWD

To reiterate, only your doctor can diagnose diabetes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.