- advertisement -

Question about sites

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by LJM, Jun 9, 2009.

1. LJM

LJM Approved members

Do your pump sites last longer in one place than another?

What I am currently seeing is tummy sites go about 2.5 days and then we get a few higher (but not too high) numbers. Sites in the upper rear can go three days (or even longer, but we don't push them).

I thought tummy sites were supposed to have better absorption. This one of the YDMV things?

2. Kalebsmom

Kalebsmom Approved members

Kaleb has only ever used his stomach for shots and now sites. He has never had to change a site to due to wacky numbers only because he is out of insulin. He has gone as long as 6 days and still had good numbers. No, I am not saying anyone should go 6 days.

3. dqmomof3

dqmomof3 Approved members

Tummy sites last barely three days on Jayden. Bum sites last four!

4. 2ladybugs

2ladybugs Approved members

Here's something even more bizarre ~ we use Isabella's bum and I swear one side lasts longer than the other! (scratching head) Figure that one out. :confused:

5. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

I'm here to hijack the thread-- :D About the bum sites, where exactly do you put them? I've changed Charlotte's site twice now and we've only used her belly. She's not totally potty-trained yet. Should I wait for bum sites until she's out of diapers? And for others with chunky babies/toddlers, do you use anything besides their bottoms and belly? Charlotte has a lot of chub left on her and I'd like to use it while she's still got it.

6. ShanaB

ShanaB Approved members

We only use the bum and we either use the upper bottom (where there is still flub) or we use the cheek and cover the site with bioclusive tape to protect from poo. I already feel like we're running low on real estate but Emma has very little body fat so the bum it is until I can fatten her up a little.

7. LJM

LJM Approved members

We put Carter's sites in the lower back, not really the bottom. Just above where the waist of his pants sits. We tried the true bottom and he hated it. So I guess lower back, really. Does that make sense?

8. 22jules

22jules Approved members

We seem to be only able to go 2 days or so on tummy with Erin also. The bum sites easily go three. We have recently tried the spot where her love handles should be and only could go 3 days but we had extenuating circumstances so hard to say if it was the site or something else. I think we might try lower back--need more real estate. Is it just above the waist?

Sorry just read again and answered my own question!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2009
  9. LJM

LJM Approved members

Above the waistband but below the natural waist. To the side where they have a little more tissue.

10. Zanesmommy

Zanesmommy Approved members

We use Zane's arms (my favorite :) ), his legs (outer thigh area) and his tushie (upper area, above pants line). He is still in diapers and we have not had a problem with any of these sites.

I have not been brave enough to try a tummy site. We never did shots there either.

11. Charlotte'sMom

Charlotte'sMom Approved members

You use arms? I'd be worried a kid would see it and pull on it, or that it would bother her more there. But that's probably silly. I was surprised to see how big the mark was that her site left, and I'd like to rotate her site around as much as possible.

12. kiwikid

kiwikid Approved members

We've never had a site go bad because of length of time. I usually change at 4 days regardless. I think we have better absorption in some spots probably because of scar tissue. Rachel won't let us use her tummy, so I'm trying to move outwards/upwards/downwards of her preferred hip site. She occasionally lets us do arms with great absorption. :cwds:

13. ErictheFerret

ErictheFerret Approved members

I've never done it anywhere but the stomach, and I go for 5 days at a time, my endocrinologist (spelled right?) recommended it for me.