- advertisement -

Question about pens.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Artgirl, Dec 22, 2015.

1. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

For the people who use pens, do you change the needle head every day or every time you inject insulin? We are also thinking of switching from needles to pens but was wondering about the needle heads. I was looking at a box of needle heads and they contain enough heads for 1 week. Can you use one per day? Is that a sanitary thing to do?

2. sszyszkiewicz

sszyszkiewicz Approved members

You use a new needle each time.

Artgirl....

http://www.amazon.com/Diabetes-Children-Adolescents-Adults-Health/dp/1859591531

3. Michelle'sMom

Michelle'sMom Approved members

Technically speaking you're supposed to change after each use. We paid out of pocket for everything except insulin, so we changed once per day per pen. Same with lancets, although I'm pretty sure she uses lancets for weeks now unless I change it.

4. Michelle'sMom

5. DiabetesMama

DiabetesMama Approved members

When we were using pens, we changed the tips out every time! It gets expensive quick! Then we cut back to once a day for each pen. Than after awhile, we changed them out every week. I would suggest that you do what is comfortable for her and then as things get more familiar, you will know when and where to cut some corners. We were all told to change out the poker every time, but I can tell you how many hundreds if not thousands of lancets I have in my closet. I could probably kill and intruder with the amount of extras we have. I have so many "donated" meters and lancet devices from caring people from church as well, which we used until we ran out of test strips and found a good meter we liked. It was nice to have so many different meters to try for free and find one that we loved. I buy the alcohol wipes in bulk at Sam's club, we get a good discount for having a member there on test strips and they also gave us a brand new meter for being members. You will figure out what works for you and your daughter and things will get easier.

6. mom24grlz

mom24grlz Approved members

Ashleigh changes insulin pen needle at every injection, unless she's out and runs out of pen tips.Then she just reuses.

7. rgcainmd

rgcainmd Approved members

While I have no problem with my daughter changing her lancet once every decade, when she was using pens I had her change pen needles after every use.

8. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

My daughter's currently on a mini pump break and using pens. Prior to the pump, she changed the needle every time and didn't think twice about it. This go around, she's still doing it (except for once when we were out to eat and made an unplanned stop for dessert and she didn't have a new needle with her), but it seems very wasteful considering she uses her lancet a million times before switching it.

9. MomofSweetOne

MomofSweetOne Approved members

When my daughter used the pens, we were advised not to leave the pen caps on the pen as bacteria could compromise the insulin.

10. rgcainmd

^^^this^^^

11. sarahspins

sarahspins Approved members

I will reuse pen needles a few times but I never leave them on the pen.

12. Artgirl

Artgirl Approved members

Since you went out to eat and she had a injection, she then had to inject again for dessert even if its shortly after? Just wondering about how MDI works. We started changing the lancets less frequently now...just seemed like to often. Also do the pen caps fit when there is a needle on it?

13. GChick

GChick Approved members

While I cannot advise this practice.... when I was on multiple injections, I'd probably use one... maaaaybe two or three pen tips per pen. It never caused the insulin to work less effectively, nor did it ever cause an infection in the over a decade of doing it this way.

I will say that it is definitely less hygienic, but not in a meaningful way for me (I also rarely get sick/infections so ydmv)

I'd say one pen tip /day is probably an acceptable compromise, as long as you are OK with it.

14. Michelle'sMom

It's been few years since we did MDI, but we didn't leave the needle attached between shots because the pen cover wouldn't fit.

Injecting for more food later in the meal is common. Most people here say there's no danger of stacking insulin when you're covering food, but for my dd that isn't true. Bigger insulin doses have a much stronger action & last much longer. We almost always cut back on extra boluses, even on the pump.

This is a pretty good article on real-life needle usage.
    http://www.dlife.com/diabetes/blood...te-newsletter&utm_campaign=dLife-eNewsletter&

15. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I call this the "buffet effect". I found enough times when we dosed multiple times for a meal that her last dose needed a much higher I:C ratio than the first. So, if her main dose was 1:10, by dessert, she needed about 1:16. It happened enough that I actually mentioned it to the Endo and she was fascinated.

16. Michelle'sMom

"Buffet effect." Good term!

17. mamattorney

mamattorney Approved members

Yes, we didn't account for dessert when we gave her her dinner shot, so dessert means more carbs and more carbs means more insulin needed and more insulin needed means another shot.

18. Nancy in VA

Nancy in VA Approved members

I called it the buffet effect because the first few times we saw it, it was when we were eating buffet meals at Disney which would last over an hour.

19. rgcainmd

Looks like we also experience the "buffet effect".

20. rgcainmd

Yet another reason we switched to the pump. My daughter has always been a grazer, i.e. she eats up to 10 times daily. Although she has never found injections painful, giving her 11 injections, plus checking her BG 10 to 13 times daily for a total of up to 24 "pokes" daily was a bit much, even for her. With OmniPod and Dexcom CGM, she is down to an average maximum 3 pokes per day: a pump change every 3 days and two BG meter checks to calibrate the Dexcom. Almost without exception, we use Dexcom readings for treatment decisions as the G5 is so accurate.