- advertisement -

Question about lows...

Discussion in 'Parents of Children with Type 1' started by januaryblue, Sep 2, 2010.

1. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

I know from reading here that a lot of things can be a factor to a CWD going high, but is that possible for lows too? Or are lows strictly about too much insulin/lots of excercise and not enough carbs.

I'm trying to figure out why Samantha has been hitting the 60's every day. We lowered her lantus by a half unit, we were doing 1.5 units in the AM (around 8) and now are doing 1. We also give her 1 unit around 5-6 pm. She has not had any fast acting in a while as she hasn't needed it.

This morning for breakfast she ate 1/2 an english muffin with butter, a little scrambled egg with cheese mixed in, 1 juice box (12 carbs) and 1/2 glass of milk. So all said about 20 -25 carbs. I've been having a hard time getting her to eat much lately, that's why I threw the juice in for breakfast. She tested around 10 am and her BG was 160. She was supposed to have snack about 12 carbs ( I don't know if she ate it all since she's at school) and then she had recess. She tested again around 11:40, before lunch and her meter read 61.

Any thoughts? Is she just getting to much lantus? Or is it really no big deal since it's not that low and just treat it if it happens?

2. ashley_lynden

ashley_lynden Approved members

When Sloan was on lantus, he went low almost every single morning before lunch. It seemed that's just when his lantus peaked or something, because even with a snack, he still went low. Since he started pumping, he's high almost every day before lunch. Go figure! :cwds:

3. wilf

wilf Approved members

She's honeymooning big time. The D will never be easier to managed than right now. Be glad. :)

It's NBD, unless you see numbers in the low 50s - that would be a sign to reduce Lantus further.

And make sure she's eating enough. The goal is for her to keep a healthy weight as she's a growing girl.. :cwds:

4. januaryblue

januaryblue Approved members

Thank you.

I am very grateful that we have some extra time to learn. Honestly, if my dad hadn't been T1 I probably would not have caught this as early as we did, in fact it was when she was on prednisone for 5 days that she showed symptoms and then they went away, I doubt she'd be on any insulin yet if the endo hadn't been watching her.

We did the 1/2 unit less of Lantus this morning and she went to 281 this afternoon. So back to 1.5 units tomorrow I guess.

As far as eating goes, she's never been a big eater, she's a teeny thing, and it's really hard to get her to eat lunch and snack when recess is waiting.